Brand New my a** (Don't take it back to Apple!)

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Well, I posted in another thread that I was having a problem with light coming out from the left side of my screen. Well when I went to the Apple store they replaced my iPhone with another one and the representative swore to me that the phone was brand new and just missing the accessories. Well I found the same problem with light coming through the right side of the screen but much worse and returned 5 minutes later. She tried swapping it with another phone that had scratches all over the chrome and lint in between the screen. I wouldn't accept the phone and wanted my original phone back but she said there was no way in the system for her to give me my phone back. As luck goes, she was also out of the 16gb iPhones that come in the little white box. So she had to order me another refurbished (supposedly new) iPhone 3G.

Today I open the app store and try to download a game and find someone elses e-mail address on the App store. So the dam lady at the Apple store lied through her teeth when I asked her whether the phone was refurbished (I asked about 6 times) or not.

So I decided to send an e-mail to the previous owner:

Hello,

I went to the Apple Store in Brandon, FL and had a problem with my white iPhone 3G so they opened up a little white box and told me that they were giving me a brand new phone minus the accessories. Well I came to purchase a game on my phone and your iTunes account e-mail address was already on the phone and it asked me for your password. No other information is on the phone so don't worry I'm not an identity thief or anything. I'm pretty pissed that the Apple employee told me the phone was brand new even though I asked her a million times. Either way, I thought it would be cool to e-mail you and ask you what was wrong with the iPhone you returned so I can see if they actually did fix the phone or just repackaged it gave it out again. Let me know where you dropped it off at too, was it the Brandon, FL store? Anyway, i'm gonna go back to Apple and raise hell tomorrow, i'll raise some hell on your behalf also since your e-mail address was on the phone still, they should have made sure everything was erased from it.

Thanks

P.S. I go by my name VIPERxGTx2000 on the EverythingiPhone.com forum in case your a member there.

*****Cliff Notes******
Had phone swapped at Apple store, Apple representative stated the phone was BRAND NEW after repeated questioning, I found the same problem, They wouldn't give me my old phone back and had to order me another iPhone. Today I find someone elses e-mail address on the App Store account. Apple lied about the iPhones in the little white boxes, stating that they are new.

**********READ UPDATE BELOW: Post #26**********

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Did you ever thought that maybe you got someones phone that was returned by mistake and the Sales Rep didn't know.

I had sent a part back as a core once and a month later got it back as a new part. They made a mistake and put it back on the shelf.

I wouldn't jump on Apple or the Sales Rep until the cause was determined.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Both boxes, the phone I have now and the one with the scratched chrome bezel, were opened in front of me. The lady had to cut the tape around the edges of the box to open it.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
not to throw gas in the fire, but I had a past experience with Apple selling me used merchandise as brand new. Long story short; my Macbook out of the box had smudges on the screen and scratches on the bottom. Oh, the little circular tape piece in the box's tab had been cut and retaped. I took it back within an hour and my sales guy just turned bright red and promptly went in back to get me an actual brand new one. He said it probably got tossed around during shipping. LMAO!

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
IM pretty sure in all the confusion and hype over the phone someone returned it, and they probably didn't wipe the phone.

However.... the box itself is wrapped in plastic, the plug/earphones/usb to iPhone cable are wrapped in plastic as well. Did u not see that the box the Apple rep gave u wasn't sealed?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
IM pretty sure in all the confusion and hype over the phone someone returned it, and they probably didn't wipe the phone.

However.... the box itself is wrapped in plastic, the plug/earphones/usb to iPhone cable are wrapped in plastic as well. Did u not see that the box the Apple rep gave u wasn't sealed?
Op noted that he got a phone only without the included accessories, hence not a retail box phone. It's a white box warranty replacement that probably was preowned and returned. Probably...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
That really sucks to hear, especially from such a company like Apple. :(

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Dang that's pretty rough. It's crazy that they have refurbs this soon after the release but it somehow doesn't surprise me.

kazzaf

Sep 23, 2007
Dang I would go back and demand another phone. Has it been 14 days?

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
This is a good case of don't FORGET TO WIPE YOUR PHONE BEFORE EXCHANGING IT. I had originally gotten the white one, until my store got the black ones in, and when i went to exchange it i set it to wipe data right before I put it into the box, just in case. The Apple guys knew i was doing it, and didn't care. I just wanted to use it right up to getting a new one!

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Did you have it activated at the store? If so, it will pick up the email address of the Mac they used to activate it.... I had a replacement out of the box and assuming what had happened to mine. Breathe

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I'm just going to return the phone and get the black one, since the cracking is so noticeable on the white one anyways. I'll cough up the $30 restocking fee because I can just call American Express afterward and they will credit it back to me. This way I won't have to deal with the headache of demanding a new phone. Does anybody know whether or not I will need an appointment with the Genius Bar to return the phone?

mhochman

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Bar Harbor, Maine
While your experience does suck, swapping out new with refurbs is pretty standard in the industry, even with Apple, unfortunately, i've had many products that i've returned that i bought new, but was returned a Refurb model. it's happened to me with Dell, Apple, Motorola.

You usually have to go through several layers of customer support before you can get them to get you a brand new unit.

mhochman

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Bar Harbor, Maine
did you bring the phone to AT&T or Apple? i thought Apple, i'd try going back to AT&T, i personally don't think you should have to pay a restock fee if the phone is defective, but that's just me, lol

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I took it back to Apple because all of the AT&T stores around me are out of stock and said it will take 10-21 days for direct fulfillment :eek:. I just called the Brandon location and they said since I am going to switch colors that I will need to pay the 10% restocking fee anyway. $30 isn't a biggy if Amex can't refund it.

mhochman

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Bar Harbor, Maine
I took it back to Apple because all of the AT&T stores around me are out of stock and said it will take 10-21 days for direct fulfillment :eek:. I just called the Brandon location and they said since I am going to switch colors that I will need to pay the 10% restocking fee anyway. $30 isn't a biggy if Amex can't refund it.

well it's not a big deal, but still not quite right. Oh well, guess that's how the cookie crumbles,

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
You should go replace your phone at a different Apple store buddy. Your store keeps lying to you :(. Anyways, best of luck man!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
That makes me way nervous now, I returned my last iPhone without wiping it and I had the PayPal app on there with all my passwords autosaved. Yikes!

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
That is why I was hesitating to return My V1 when it started acting up a little cause i was afraid of having another phone with even worse problems returned to me.