Breaking news! CNBC reporting that modified iPhones soon to be inoperable!

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I hope this isn't true! CNBC is reporting that iPhones which have been modified will be rendering inoperable. How does that affect those of us who have jailbroken our iPhones. Thoughts?

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
they said phones that are unlocked using unlocking software may be permanently inoperable ... i don't think they are referring to apptap or any other third party software ... my phone runs on AT&T and isn't unlocked .. so i shouldnt have anything to worry about.

i doubt they are lying to you .. please!

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
I don't KNOW, but sounds like complete bullsh*t to me. sounds like Apple/AT&T started this rumour. its just so odd that the iPhone was released 3 mos ago, people unlocked it, the price drop and now this story? theres some weird pattern going on here. we need more proof that this is true

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Apple's just protecting its own bottom line by declaring in advance an update might kill your iPhone if you're messing with the baseband (ie: unlocking).

Please stop panicking. Nothing that you don't do yourself will kill your iPhone.

Apple is not the enemy here. Unlockers who dive head first into an update are.

And thx for the links guys!

JewelDiamond

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
So does this mean it's okay to use such things as jailbreaker and ibrickr? I haven't used either yet, but have been really thinking about it. :cool:

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
i just read the articles again, it really sounds like horse sht to me! trying to scare us and follow like were sheep. i don't get why we cant install whatever the ef we wanted in our phones? i mean we can when we buy a pc or mac, and were still covered under warantee right? so whats with this we cant install 3rd party apps on our iPhone/computer phone bull crap? and say our phones do die, how can they prove its cause of 3rd party apps?

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
i just read the articles again, it really sounds like horse sht to me! trying to scare us and follow like were sheep. i don't get why we cant install whatever the ef we wanted in our phones? i mean we can when we buy a pc or mac, and were still covered under warantee right? so whats with this we cant install 3rd party apps on our iPhone/computer phone bull crap? and say our phones do die, how can they prove its cause of 3rd party apps?
Gee, you'd think someone clever enough to score the user name IPod would have better reading comprehension.

:rolleyes:

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I find this hard to believe

When has a software flash physically destroyed hardware? The worse I can see is that the update modifies the same sections of code and hence you end up with in-operable software - so a clever person out there will come up with a reverse flash of the unlock code and then you can update with no fear - Apple is setting it self up for a big law suit here as the top court in the land rule that it was not illegal to remove locking 'device' from cellphones and if fact indicated it was to be allowed for the next few years (it is not a copyright infringement). Even if Apple has not done this intentionally someone will make it a class action suit and cause Apple a lot of hassle. No other cellphone manufacture blocks their phones this way - its easy to get them unlocked and no-one even worries - ATT obviously pressured Apple strongly here, this is one of the few locked phone out there the user pays in full for (material cost are a fraction of the current selling price) and now it seems you can't modify it without Apple/ATT punishing you. Unless Apple adds some good features in this update most of us will avoid it until someone find a new hack to prevent Apple's threat. If they push it to the phone without the user agreeing then that will open up a large can of worms either way.

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Gee, you'd think someone clever enough to score the user name IPod would have better reading comprehension.

:rolleyes:

oh, my bad, smart ass.
"Users who make unauthorized modifications to the software on their iPhone voilate their iPhone software license agreement and void their warranty."

aren't 3rd party apps considered "unauthorized modification"? that i'm not too sure. so i just assumed so.

i guess i was just too over whelmed by this breaking news that i just couldn't help but to over interpret that quote.******************************************************************

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
When has a software flash physically destroyed hardware? The worse I can see is that the update modifies the same sections of code and hence you end up with in-operable software - so a clever person out there will come up with a reverse flash of the unlock code and then you can update with no fear - Apple is setting it self up for a big law suit here as the top court in the land rule that it was not illegal to remove locking 'device' from cellphones and if fact indicated it was to be allowed for the next few years (it is not a copyright infringement). Even if Apple has not done this intentionally someone will make it a class action suit and cause Apple a lot of hassle. No other cellphone manufacture blocks their phones this way - its easy to get them unlocked and no-one even worries - ATT obviously pressured Apple strongly here, this is one of the few locked phone out there the user pays in full for (material cost are a fraction of the current selling price) and now it seems you can't modify it without Apple/ATT punishing you. Unless Apple adds some good features in this update most of us will avoid it until someone find a new hack to prevent Apple's threat. If they push it to the phone without the user agreeing then that will open up a large can of worms either way.

well if Apple is smart they will add some really killer features to this update. perhaps the 1.1.1 in the UK was just an internal build for that event and the one that will be released includes some awesome features to tempt people upgrade. say it does have MMS, ichat, copy/paste, iTunes wifi, louder system volume in the firmware, and maybe even voice recording/dialing, then Apple will know people will be very tempted to update with that software. if it just includes the iTunes wifi store, then they know many who unlocked it will just sit on the fence and avoid unlocking unless Apple forces people to upgrade orr they cant sync their phone with iTunes. i dunno if thats possible.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
So does this mean it's okay to use such things as jailbreaker and ibrickr? I haven't used either yet, but have been really thinking about it. :cool:
It appears that it is "ok" in the sense that these applications should not brick your phone. The article is specifically speaking towards phones that are software unlocked from the ATT carrier. So as long as your phone was not in this category you are fine (assumed to be fine).

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Actually..

We just need to replace the small number of modified files with the original one, reboot and your back to square 1 (I seem to remember seeing a way to do this somewhere, Goggle to the rescue)