Breed Specific Legislation

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
H

Hayesimus

What is your opinion on this matter. I feel i may get very defensive on this subject being that I have a Pit Bull named Lucy. She displays a mastery at overt affection. She knows not how to harbor aggression. Anyway, on to the point. Breed specific legislation is the immoral practice of banning and maliciously killing breeds that the media and politicians have glamorized as vicious and bloodthirsty. Essentially the latest manifestation of racism. Breedism is neither logical nor practical. It has NO basis in fact or in science. No research supports it. "They" say that these breeds are inherently dangerous and should be eliminated. How then, can we allow the human race to go on? I know not a dog that has pressed war against his neighbor, creating weapons capable of killing millions. All dogs are uniformly capable of viciousness, as are they capable of an unwavering and unrelenting devotion and passion feuled by the love they feel for there owner and companion. Take away that companionship and replace it with a cruel hand and you are left with a tortured soul who's only recourse is an aggressive temperment and an sad disposition. Don't hate the breed. Hate the deed. Punish those responsible not the true victims.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." GHANDI

H

Hayesimus

thought it was odd that there wasn't a response to this. but it was before the big off topic boom of 2008 lol.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
while we definitely don't need to go as far as "eliminating" them, you do have to admit that a fair amount of people that "acquire" pitbulls probably do so for less-than-ethical reasons.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I love dogs---all animals---but the majority of (publicized) dog attacks seem to be pit bulls. I agree the owner should be the one punished, but I'm afraid of pit bulls, and I'm fearless!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I love dogs---all animals---but the majority of (publicized) dog attacks seem to be pit bulls. I agree the owner should be the one punished, but I'm afraid of pit bulls, and I'm fearless!
I have the same sort of feeling. Have been around and owned lots of big breeds - rottweilers, dobermans etc. - but never trust pit bulls ...

H

Hayesimus

i have had many MANY pits, they are highly intelligent and the biggest lap dogs you'll ever see. They love to lick your face and shake paws. And they know when they've been bad. Just a firm voice and they hang their heads in shame.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
while we definitely don't need to go as far as "eliminating" them, but you do have to admit that a fair amount of people that "acquire" pitbulls probably do so for less-than-ethical reasons.
Yep. I don't believe that there are "bad seeds" born among dogs like there are among humans. A mean dog is nearly always the result of mistreatment by people. I'm glad to see laws getting tougher on those who perpetuate cruelty to animals; I think people are becoming more aware of the fact that this often reflects an individual's capacity to inflict harm on humans, as well.
As for China...I was horrified to see how they eliminated dogs just a year or two ago. Literally yanked them from the pet owner's hands while simply walking down the street and killed the animal in front of them. :oops::oops: IMO, China has a history of being inhumane in more ways than one. I'm an advocate for both people and animals; the difference is, people should know better. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Proverbs 31:8 - "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves. Protect the rights of all who are helpless." I have a real soft spot for animals.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Selecting a dog, like the beast in my avatar (puppy there; full grown in my public profile :)) requires careful consideration. With a family of young kids, we needed a pet who would not cling to one person, and potentially get jealous of other family members. We also wanted a dog that wouldn't try to run away all of the time. Immediately, my wife ruled out my favorite, the Husky.

Although Harry is primarily English Setter, with the rest being 56 flavors, he still shows the natural hunting tendencies unique to that breed. He shares our home with two cats, Laurel and Hardy, whom we had a heck of a lot longer than him. Harry was a puppy when we brought him home. Thus, the cats were able to negotiate terms of truce. From time to time, we have border skirmishes (Harry eats the cat food; cats drink out of Harry's water dish). How many dogs actually clean a cat's ears for him?

From time to time, Harry's nature takes over. If a tug of war toy can't calm him down, I take him outside and let him spaz. After running around the yard 5 or 6 times, he feels like a new man!

Moral to the story: raise your pet with love and instill good behavior. Also, be intelligent regarding the selection of breeds to match your family needs. As sappy and wimpy I find Harry at times, whenever that doorbell rings, he barks and raises his hackles. Good boy, Harry!

H

Hayesimus

precisely. and for the love of god, don't leave a sleeping baby with ANY animal with teeth! im tired of hearing about infants getting their toes chewed of by puppies!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
precisely. and for the love of god, don't leave a sleeping baby with ANY animal with teeth! im tired of hearing about infants getting their toes chewed of by puppies!
Precisely. Fortunately for me, my youngest daughter was already 2 when we got Mr. Spotter. Whenever either my wife or I leave the room, Harry feels compelled to follow. There have been many times when I thought that Obi (her name is Lauren, but I've brainwashed her into accepting Obi Wan Kenobi) would be bit by Harry. You see, Harry's not a dog, but a kid. He parks his 50 pound butte on the only available spot on the couch. Obi seeing an opportunity, decides she wants to sit there. He barks or growls then gets off. Funny, though. He barks and growls at me when I kick him off the bed because he's taken the covers or has decided to hog my side of the bed.

Honestly. The above is true. But, my wife and I admonish Harry for barking and growling when he is being moved. Enjoy the floor, Pal. :)

H

Hayesimus

My recent addition to my family, my Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Roxy, is more like a cat than I had anticipated. She'll be apparently napping, I'll walk into the kitchen to get a drink and on my way back to the computer SNEAK ATTACK! Yapping and nipping at my heels! lol. her little teeth are as sharp as RAZORS!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
As I mentioned, we have two cats. Stubbornly independent, they come around to visit on their own terms. Which means, for me, in the morning while trying to get dressed for work, Hardy (the boy) will jump on the bed and start pawing at me to rub his cat-melon. I indulge him for a few seconds and stop. Paws again. They always pick the most inconvenient times.

At night, I get a telegram from Hardy that it's time to eat. His sister is much more patient. He starts singing, jumps up on to the computer or decides to use my leg as a scratch post. When he really gets desperate for my attention, he'll start lapping at plastic.

H

Hayesimus

Oh! You just made me think of my ol' cat MJ. R.I.P. He had thumbs!

mj.jpg

craziest thing i've ever seen! This cat would sleep with me when i got home from work. Well I can't tell you how many times i woke up with him laying next to me facing my face with on "hand"(not paws. he has thumbs) on my cheek. And he was stroking my face... it kinda creeped me out. lol But I miss him, he's the only feline I ever tolerated in my house. I love everyone else's cat, but they always cause a disaster when they live in my house for some reason...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Hardy and Harry get along real well. Laurel, Hardy's sister, is very vocal. Laurel likes to sun herself by the back door. That is also the door Harry uses to go outside. She'll give him a "Watch it Buddy" meow, his ears will perk up as though he's thinking he should haul butte, and outside he goes.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I was talking about this last night to someone. All the pit bulls I have ever met have been the sweetest most loving dogs. This stereotype has been perpetuated by people who buy pit bulls because they think its cool to have aggressive dogs, and they encourage the behavior. Like caesar milan says, you can't blame a behavior on the breed, you blame it on the human that allows or encourages the behavior.