bricked iPhone? need assistance please.

linux454

Apr 17, 2008
I'm having a terrible time getting my iPhone back to a working state.

First some history:
I had my phone jailbroken and running 1.1.3 for some time.
But recently I have had the problem where it wouldn't sync with iTunes.
(I'm not sure if this was in fact a new symptom or if I just hadn't noticed it
not working from when I first updated to 1.1.3)

Anyway, I was wanting to get back to a "working" model so that I could sync
up and then look into upgrading and jailbreaking 1.1.4.

First I tried to do a clean restore from iTunes, it would find my phone, go through the motions of unzipping the .ipsw file for 1.1.3 (I also tried a restore/upgrade with same results). But when it came time to actually put it on the phone it would fail every time.

So I thought that I would try and downgrade back to 1.0.2.
I used iBrickr on a windows PC to do the deed. And it indeed downgraded the software back to 1.0.2, but the firmware is still stuck at 1.1.3.

Now I am stuck at the activation screen with an 'Incorrect SIM" message.
I'm guessing that this is due to the mismatch between the system software and the baseband version.

I can't get iTunes to install ANY version of software on the phone.
When I try to connect it back to iBrickr, it seems like it gets caught in a nastly loop of kernel panics.

I've been exhaustively searching the internet as to different approaches and I can't find anything that is working for me. I'm on a Mac PowerPC, but have access to both windows and Intel macs. At this point I really don't care about jailbreaking, I just want a functional iPhone again. Oh and I am a valid AT&T customer using the original SIM card that came with the iPhone.

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
you have to search the thread to find out how to force it into DFU mode! and restore.
assusming that you have hard rebooted correctly

linux454

Apr 17, 2008
you have to search the thread to find out how to force it into DFU mode! and restore.
assusming that you have hard rebooted correctly
I've tried restoring while in DFU mode, iTunes won't restore in recovery or dfu mode.

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
did u search for ziPhone thread and use those instructions or something else? just curious

linux454

Apr 17, 2008
did u search for ziPhone thread and use those instructions or something else? just curious
I didn't use ziPhone. When I originally jailbroke it going to 1.1.3 I think I remember using iJailbreak. And I think I used independance when I went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2. It's all run together to be honest =P

But good news, I was able to get iTunes on windows to restore to the iPhone.
I've got it running the 1.1.4 software and matching baseband now. Unjailbroken.

I'm still having problems with iTunes syncing on my powerbook. It will sync the address book but when it goes to sync anything else iTunes drops the iPhone from its list... Dunno but it's really odd that the factory firmware and iTunes won't play nice now.

linux454

Apr 17, 2008
Well, I have a fair amount of egg on my face =P.

Turns out the major problem I was having with not being able to update or sync, or restore, etc to my phone was due to a crappy usb extension cable.

Thanks, Chrismmm for the helpful comments.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
LOL. Always check the the obviouse first.