Bricking iPhones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
So now that it has been a couple days since the last update, i was wondering. Has anyone actually bricked an iPhone now? Before the update there had never been a software bricking on this phone posted on this board. There were some instances where some users thought they had, but they were able to restore the software and were as good as new. Now, I have heard a lot of people talking about this software bricking phones, but I have not heard any actual accounts of this yet. So if your phone has been bricked please share your story with us!

Jul 23, 2007
I'm interested in this question too. I also would like to know how the bricking is accomplished? I've never bought into software permanently altering hardware.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I have heard a lot of bricking complaints about this update, but I still have not heard about an actual brick. I still wan't to find out if someone has bricked their phone and what led to it. Am I to believe that no one has bricked their phone yet?

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
If I remember correctly we have a couple of people post that their hacked phones were bricked after the update. I think we've heard more second hand reports of "someone I know" bricked their iPhone and didn't even hack it.

So who knows... it could be a bunch of hype. The media and blogosphere seems to be pimping this notion that Apple is purposely bricking phones but I don't buy it just yet.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Nikos something or other did.

yes, i think some of the guys who updated with an unlocked phone rendered it useless (maybe not "bricked, per se).

granted that was when the update first came out. i don't know if any work arounds for those who updated have come out, as ive never unlocked (just modded).

drac

Sep 17, 2007
my iPhone is bricked and i didn't unlock it... i upgraded to 1.1.1 since i didn't have mine unlocked, and after the upgrade, i got the invalid sim error... after following the directions to downgrade back to 1.0.2 i now have an iPhone stick in recovery mode and it gets error (1) or error (160x) when i try to do anything with it in iTunes