Brief Hello and my first questions...

BAD_S197

Nov 2, 2007
Hello.. names Jake and I want an iPhone but have some questions reguarding the device that searching could take a long time and a lot of reading of unrelated info.

I've played with the iPhone in the store and was impressed with the streaming of youtube videos, THEN realized it was via wireless broadband and not the EDGE network. How does the iPhone do with downloading stuff over EDGE? I have a BB Pearl presently and it's impossible to view any video off the net much less view anything quickly. Does the iPhone fair the same?

I like to watch news clips off CNN.com and Liveleak.com and was wondering how those played. A buddy at work tried with his briefly before he left for the weekend and CNN was a no-go. Is there an Applet or plugin to allow that content to stream / play?

Was there any software updates to allow cut/paste ability between apps?

Software wise, any apps that allow use of icq/msn/aol messenging programs? I would think with as popular as the phone is that there would be tons of stuff being written for it.

I know there are other questions but thats all I can think of at the moment.

thanks
jake

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Welcome to the forums.

You tube plays well over EDGE. However, you need to be in a area where you have good coverage of ATT.

You cannot play videos off CNN. Not at this moment.

No cut/paste currently. May be in the future updates.

You can use webapps for IM. There is JiveTalk, Meebo etc. These fair pretty good. I have used 'em and not bad at all. However, if you want an IM that runs from your phone and not necessarily from the web, then you gotto jailbreak your phone and then install other apps.

BAD_S197

Nov 2, 2007
thanks

I just looked up "jailbreak" and I'm obviously going to have to do more research on what that does for me.

remember when phones were just phones?

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
thanks

I just looked up "jailbreak" and I'm obviously going to have to do more research on what that does for me.

remember when phones were just phones?

haha.. i agree! i don't remember being this obssesed with any of my previous phones. good luck with the research.. i remember being completely lost at first.. but luckily this is a great and helpful forum so feel free to ask any questions..

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Hello.. names Jake and I want an iPhone but have some questions reguarding the device that searching could take a long time and a lot of reading of unrelated info.

I've played with the iPhone in the store and was impressed with the streaming of youtube videos, THEN realized it was via wireless broadband and not the EDGE network. How does the iPhone do with downloading stuff over EDGE? I have a BB Pearl presently and it's impossible to view any video off the net much less view anything quickly. Does the iPhone fair the same?

I like to watch news clips off CNN.com and Liveleak.com and was wondering how those played. A buddy at work tried with his briefly before he left for the weekend and CNN was a no-go. Is there an Applet or plugin to allow that content to stream / play?

Was there any software updates to allow cut/paste ability between apps?

Software wise, any apps that allow use of icq/msn/aol messenging programs? I would think with as popular as the phone is that there would be tons of stuff being written for it.

I know there are other questions but thats all I can think of at the moment.

thanks
jake
Welcome to EIP...err....EIC i guess, anyways welcome to the forums:p

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Welcome to EIC! God I hate saying that! I want EIP!

Anyway, with YouTube and EDGE, you usually get fuzzy videos. I use my home Wi-Fi 90% of the time, but when I watch a video over EDGE, it's fuzzy.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
iPhone.break.com is how I watch videos from Break, which is another kind of funny video site. I'd say borrow an iPhone or test drive it in an Apple or AT&T store first to check and see how your favorite sites will work. Anything requiring flash or java is a no go at the moment. But the site you try might have an alternative option for you.

BAD_S197

Nov 2, 2007
thanks for the info.

Not being able to deal with those two web features helps me narrow down what will/wont work for me.

I'm holding off till next month to purchase the phone as my contract isn't quite up yet and i don't want a double phone bill for two months.

I also don't want a paperweight sitting around for a month with no features working because they chose to make you subscribe before you can use the ipod and other features.

so saving my pennies for one more month.

thanks for the scoop.

jake