Brightness matters

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would have to say that one of the most (if not the most) significant drains on the battery is the big, gorgeous screen we all know and love. Turning the brightness down as low as tolerable really does wonders for battery life.

I had an all-day remote recording this weekend, and the place had no wifi so I was Edge surfing all day (probably about 5+ hours of web page loading). I would have certainly killed my battery with that at my normal brightness level (a couple notches below midline, no auto-bright). But with it way down, I used it a LOT and only drained 25% of the battery. So that will be my SOP now when I'm out "in the field"

Just FYI.

p.s. - once I setup and get my levels, I'm just listening for feedback, so no, I don't feel guilty for surfing on the job. :p

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's all in the performance. My job is a farce.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This is totally true. brightness has definitely been the main culprit of battery drain. ive gotten used to 1/8 brightness, and it does wonders for battery life. its not even dark at that level. its quite comfortable. no strain to read even during the day.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I've been saying that since day one. It's the same thing for laptops. Next up would be the Hard disk drive, but since we don't have it the next one is processor usage.....and only thing I can say is don't play raging thunder or NES, SNES, PSX, or any emulation when you need to conserve.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I gonna keep my brightness at the highest cause I'll normally be home by the time the battery is in the "red", but I see what your talking about when referring to using safari/edge and lowering the brightness, or maybe watching a few youtube videos.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I gonna keep my brightness at the highest
Really? The highest setting? I find that to hurts my eyes a little, haha, I guess it's a good thing to be able to go too bright, especially when I'm outside.:cool:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
when i first read the thread title, i thought it was going to be about how being smart helps in a particular activity. my mind works in strange ways sometimes...

i agree - i will turn down brightness if i know i'm not going to get the opportunity to charge my iPhone for a while. and i've turned off email auto-checking, and that has made a big impact as well.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
When I need some extra juice in the battery I turn the display brightness down as well. Works best when I'm at work and can connect to the WiFi and have several hours with nothing to do.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This brightness tip was brought up some time back. I keep auto off and have brightness just a tad to the left of the B. Once I started doing this, I noticed a pretty good boost in battery life.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
yup yup thats what I been preachN.. I pull out 5 1/2 hours as opposed to 3ish hours before I took my brightness down

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah this is nothing new, I was just surprised at the amount of difference it makes. You can add literally hours to your battery life. This is way more than you'll gain by, say, turning off wifi. Just saying do this before worrying about less effective means of power conservation.