Brilliant - You Can't Scratch a Touch Video

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This video from Michell at Gear Diary is superb and funny and shows off the hardass iPod Touch screen. Tagline for the video is great:
Note: No iPods were able to be harmed in the making of this video

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
This video from Michell at Gear Diary is superb and funny and shows off the hardass iPod Touch screen. Tagline for the video is great:
I haven't been able to scratch my iPhone either. Dog knows I've tried. Dropped it 10 times. Let the kid use it. Threw it in my 20-lb purse with my keys and other ill-advised items. Not a scratch in 3 months. My Treo 650 looks like it's been in a bath of hydrochloric acid.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Wow. 20 pound purse sounds scary. I still find I treat mine as gentle as possible - carry it in a separate pocket to all keys etc. Habit of a lot of years with mobile devices I guess ...
I know. I scare myself sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
I think it was once supposed in these forums that the screen was made of a sapphire crystal. Rolex crystals are made of sapphire crystals which keep them very scratch resistant.

Alas, I don't believe it was ever proven what it was truly made of. At any rate, I still have a plastic film protector on the glass as a precaution.

FW

coolie

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
i think the reason why they changed the silver chrome from the iPhone to the dark one on the touch ipod, is because the silver chrome can get scratched

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The scratches on my iPhone annoy me.
They're just minor dings, one above the camera, and a few on the chrome finish, but they stand out.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
For those who prefer to watch a scratch test on their iPhone (unlike the flash movie above), there are a number of scratch-my-iPod-Touch movies on uTube, most of them unsuccessful in their endeavor.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
My iPhone slipped out of my hand and skidded on the pavement in the parking lot at my office. It did get a couple of teeny little dings in the glass... almost imperceptible though.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Pretty cool, I think the iPhone version of this was more of a testament to it's durability than this one.

I still don't use a case and I'm very pleased with it's durability for a pocket device. I could never treat my PocketPCs the way I treat my iPhone. The iPhone is the best device I've ever owned despite the small gripes that come with it, I'm glad the iPod touch fares the same, now I know what to get when I upgrade my media player :)

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Pretty cool, I think the iPhone version of this was more of a testament to it's durability than this one.

I still don't use a case and I'm very pleased with it's durability for a pocket device. I could never treat my PocketPCs the way I treat my iPhone. The iPhone is the best device I've ever owned despite the small gripes that come with it, I'm glad the iPod touch fares the same, now I know what to get when I upgrade my media player :)
During my last trip to the Apple store, several of the employees said that the iPhone and iPod Touch do not share the same screen. I haven't done any research to this affect, but apparently the iPhone screen is made from some sort of glass? where the Touch isn't?

I have a habit of asking questions to employees on an individual basis instead of as a group to see if I get the same answers or different answers from each.

I was surprised to say the least. I thought they shared the same screen. All of them agreed that they believe the screen on the iPhone is superior to that of the Touch.

Your thoughts......?