Broadcom's new 5G Wi-Fi chip with 802.11ac, 2x2 MIMO could be tapped for future iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Broadcom's new system-on-a-chip could bring wifi 802.11ac capability along with improved power efficiency for possible inclusion in a future iPhone model.

I'd do an article on this for eiC, but I haven't heard much from the landlord lately. :D

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm curious, why do they call it "5G," if it only brings impoved Wi-Fi capabilities, 2x2 MIMO, and power efficiency improvements? I would think "5G" would refer to cellular standards improvements (like speed of data transmission) and not new Wi-Fi or other capabilities. That's been the norm up to now, with any "xG" designation.

UPDATE: Nevermind. Blonde moment. I see now the article is clearly talking about a 5G Wi-Fi chip.

#2 Rafagon, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm glad you caught yourself. I didn't want to have to club you.

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The a/c WiFi standard is awesome. I got the new Apple AirPort Extreme base station and both speed and signal strength are tremendous. This would be a great addition to ANY smartphone, and if it's more power-efficient it will be a win/win feature upgrade. I'd love to see your article on eiC.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think Apple often waits to implement this tech until power demands go down.

So would I. ;)

6. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Flogging would have sufficed in this instance.:eek: