Brodit (ProClip) mount for iPhone 3G and Griffin PowerJolt

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Brodit/ProClip mount for iPhone 3G with pass-through connector for Griffin PowerJolt cable. I just ordered one, model #915255, and tried the phone in the mount before actually attaching it to the dash. Mine is very, very tight; too tight in my opinion. I'm pretty sure I'd have to use both hands to insert and remove it from the mount, once attached to the dash. I wrote ProClip, and they confirmed this. They said that it is much tighter than their other models, and that you'd have to use two hands, in order to prevent stress on the mount and/or dash. The big thing I was looking for was convenience, so I feel like this kind of defeats the purpose for me. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, or if mine could possibly be some sort of defect?
By the way, I am using a 3G, without any covers or skins or other accessories.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have the DICE dock for my setup, using the Griffin Auto Pilot. The Dice dock comes with a bunch of adapters to use with various iPods, including one for the V1 iPhone.
I, however, have a 3G in a Slider case, so I took the adapter for the iPod Video, cut it and made it wider, and it works great. Lemme see if I can find the thread I posted my pics in.

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks, I really appreciate the help! I was originally looking at that mount, but when I was told that it was for the 1G, I ended up going with the ProClip instead.
I have a few questions about what to expect if you purchase that for a 3G.

Do you think it will hold a 3G without any case or skin?
Does it hold the 3G tight enough that it doesn't lose the electrical connection when you hit bumps in the road, etc?
Is there any sound quality that is lost through the "in-between" M/F connector on the mount, when you attach the Auto-pilot to it?
Are those four screws along the back of the mount recessed; ie. since the mount isn't lined like the ProClip, is there anything that can scratch the back or sides of the iPhone?
Are the sides of the mount adjustable; will it accommodate a shuffle?
And finally, how does the adapter work; does it add depth to the back of the mount to compensate for different thicknesses of different devices?

Sorry, lot of questions. If you have the opportunity to answer any/all, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
Oh, and one other thing :p If I understand this right, there is both a 5V and a 12V model of the dice cradle; is that right (5V will support 3G, 12V supports all others)? Are you using the 5V?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Oh, and one other thing :p If I understand this right, there is both a 5V and a 12V model of the dice cradle; is that right (5V will support 3G, 12V supports all others)? Are you using the 5V?
Interesting, I have not heard that. I just ordered the cradle without knowing there was a difference. I would think that the power cable being used is what determines whether it is 5V or 12.
I never saw anything that specified there was a difference, or I was just lucky.

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
:laugh2: Pro Clip also makes one that is adjustable. I am currently using this one. So far this is the only holder that fits, with and without a case on my 3G.
This is also available with a pass through as well.
Item No. 875214 - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
ProClip is also supposed to be coming out with an adjustable pass-through dock for people with cases as well.

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
ProClip is also supposed to be coming out with an adjustable pass-through dock for people with cases as well.

Here You go it is available
Item No. 915290 - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
DavidT - That is perfect, and it's absolutely what I'd get, if it didn't cost $100. :( Oh well. I'll keep an eye on it at least, and see if it comes down in price. Thanks for finding that, though. I got my 8GB through ATT for $199. It keeps driving me nuts all these accessories that cost almost as much or more than the phone did, but I guess I'm just cheap.

In the end run, I'll probably end up trying the Dice for now. If you get a chance though, Hawk, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about the other questions.

[Do you think it will hold a 3G without any case or skin?
Does it hold the 3G tight enough that it doesn't lose the electrical connection when you hit bumps in the road, etc?
Is there any sound quality that is lost through the "in-between" M/F connector on the mount, when you attach the Auto-pilot to it?
Are those four screws along the back of the mount recessed; ie. since the mount isn't lined like the ProClip, is there anything that can scratch the back or sides of the iPhone?
And finally, how does the adapter work; does it add depth to the back of the mount to compensate for different thicknesses of different devices?]

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
DavidT - That is perfect, and it's absolutely what I'd get, if it didn't cost $100. :( Oh well. I'll keep an eye on it at least, and see if it comes down in price. Thanks for finding that, though. I got my 8GB through ATT for $199. It keeps driving me nuts all these accessories that cost almost as much or more than the phone did, but I guess I'm just cheap.

In the end run, I'll probably end up trying the Dice for now. If you get a chance though, Hawk, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about the other questions.

[Do you think it will hold a 3G without any case or skin?
And finally, how does the adapter work; does it add depth to the back of the mount to compensate for different thicknesses of different devices?]
It figures that this would come out after I already bought and modified my Dice dock, But that is what impatience will get you.
This is definitely what I would recommend for anyone looking for a pass-through connector to use in the car with a phone in a case. The dice dock is cheaper at $60, but requires modification to fit a 3G in a case.
** Big side note** it's still not confirmed that the Pro Clip dock above will actually fit a 3G in a slider case or a setup of similar thickness. It might turn out to be too tight still. For a snug fit, it would have to be 2 5/8th inches wide. a millimeter wider would be slightly loose, but could work.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
All I can say regarding that is that Hawk and I bought the same item from the same distributor, and I have a V1 and he has a 3G and it works for both of us. We both get the airplane warning, but otherwise it works fine.

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD

[Do you think it will hold a 3G without any case or skin? Yes it will you have some room here
Does it hold the 3G tight enough that it doesn't lose the electrical connection when you hit bumps in the road, etc? Not a problem it holds it in tight
Is there any sound quality that is lost through the "in-between" M/F connector on the mount, when you attach the Auto-pilot to it? this I do not know
Are those four screws along the back of the mount recessed; ie. since the mount isn't lined like the ProClip, is there anything that can scratch the back or sides of the iPhone? Been using it for almost 8 months no scratches

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
Again, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I found an auction on Ebay selling the Dice for $50, free shipping, so I think I'm going to sell the ProClip and go with that.
I called Dice Electronics yesterday. For what it's worth, there's been talk about a "5V" cradle being released, but it hasn't been released yet. The thing I don't understand is that it doesn't have anything to do with the charging; the 3G will charge on either. So I'm not sure why they're calling it a "12V" and a "5V". The only difference is that it will have an adapter that accommodates a 3G.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Again, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I found an auction on Ebay selling the Dice for $50, free shipping, so I think I'm going to sell the ProClip and go with that.
I called Dice Electronics yesterday. For what it's worth, there's been talk about a "5V" cradle being released, but it hasn't been released yet. The thing I don't understand is that it doesn't have anything to do with the charging; the 3G will charge on either. So I'm not sure why they're calling it a "12V" and a "5V". The only difference is that it will have an adapter that accommodates a 3G.
That is very interesting to hear, as my Dice Dock accepts my Auto Pilot and charges AND controls my phone just fine. My iPhone is a 3G. I definitely don't understand why there needs to be another version when what I got (I'm going to assume that mine is the 12V model since you said they haven't released the 5V version yet) is working fine for me.

BTW DipDog, Remember that the Dice Dock does NOT fit the 3G iPhone without some serious modification ( or they caught up with the phone version and have a 3G adapter). This makes the Brodit cradle a much more attractive holder, for those without a steady hand or dremel.
If I had the flow to blow, I'd grab one in a hurry.

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
Yah, if only!
I think the main difference with the new Dice cradle is the fit, doesn't sound like there will be any difference with the electronic connection. I read a lot of posts about a "5V" Dice cradle coming out; maybe that was a misunderstanding. When I called Dice, they didn't actually refer to it as a "5V" cradle, they just called it the new cradle for the 3G. But then calling Dice isn't like calling Best Buy; I keep getting a guy who just answers the phone "yah?". They won't talk much about it, like it's some sort of secret. Said it will be released in a few weeks.
I'd stay with the Brodit but, getting back to the beginning of this thread, I swear it's just way too tight. I really am curious if anyone else agrees. I feel like I have to yank to get it out. It would be alright if you left your phone in the cradle, but I take mine out every day when I go to work (had my car broken into a few months ago; was just lucky that the phone wasn't in there).
I don't mind a little DIY; the AutoPilot actually doesn't fit the Brodit; it was made for the PowerJolt which is slightly less wide at the connector, so I would have had to modify the cradle anyhow. I am curious exactly what you had to do to get the 3G into the Dice though, Hawk. Did you just sand down the adapter, or take a saw to it, to trim down the depth of it?

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
Then go with the adjustable one. Mine works perfectly with or without my slider case.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

dipdog

Aug 18, 2008
Okay, Hawk I can see what you did now. That was a lot of DIY! Dice said that the new cradle will be out soon; sales guy said it should be same price. Maybe I'll be patient and wait, or save up for the ProClip.

Thanks again all for your help. Kind of sucks you have to go through all this in the first place; for the most advanced phone out there, you know. I've been trying link the address book on my phone to the handsfree kit, and just found out it can't do that either (no OPP). Argh!