broken iPod problems with iPhone

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Everyone who has ever owned an iPod knows how often they have small problems and people go in and use there protetion plan to get them replaced. How is this going to work with the iPhone? If it breaks within the first year, will you be able to take it to an Apple Store and they'll walk to the back room, and then walk out with a new phone in a brown cardboard box? or will you have to buy a new phone? I know cingular isn't very forgiving about broken phones and people normally have to buy new phones if they break one. If we are paying $599 for a phone, will we have to buy a new one whenever it malfunctions? Anyone have some inside infromation?

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
probably will have the standard year warranty and then your on your own. I am forsure going to get the Apple Care for it. And if you cant afford it at the time, you have a year intill after purchase to buy it for your device.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I suggest buying it. You never want to blow an investment like that.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
I suggest buying it. You never want to blow an investment like that.
so then you know that there will be the Apple care protection plan for it? Judging by Apples past reputation wiht its hardware, i guess your right, there will be some kind of warranty extension on it.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I know that the Apple care replaced my ipod probably 3 or 4 times.

May 6, 2007
United States
I sure hope they do make an Applecare plan for the iPhone. I would definitely be interested in it, and I would love to hear some details on it. Anybody?:laugh2:

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
How much would it be? How much have you paid for Apple Care for an iPod? I think it's $59 but would probably be more for the iPhone. How much is too much?

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
How much would it be? How much have you paid for Apple Care for an iPod? I think it's $59 but would probably be more for the iPhone. How much is too much?
i bet it will be $79. that seems about right if the ipod plan is $59

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
I have never needed to get Applecare. I know how to screw up the USB connector on my shuffle without making it seem like I did it on purpose so everytime I want new earbuds or it is getting a bit scratched, I just get it replaced and the year warranty starts again. I wonder if the next time I do it they'll give me one of those new shuffles?

My dad was "pressured" to get Applecare when he got me and my sister's iMacs (and now regrets it). I doubt I'll ever need it since if I have any problems with my iMac I'll just fix it my self.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Yeah Now that I think about it a lot of those breaks could have been user related. Such as sweating on it during workouts.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I have never needed to get Applecare. I know how to screw up the USB connector on my shuffle without making it seem like I did it on purpose so everytime I want new earbuds or it is getting a bit scratched, I just get it replaced and the year warranty starts again. I wonder if the next time I do it they'll give me one of those new shuffles?
Are you sure that the year warranty starts again. I am under the impression that no matter how many times you get a unit replaced under warranty, the warranty end date is based on the original purchase date.

BTW, breaking your shuffle on purpose to get a replacement is pretty lame. Why don't you just take better care of it instead?

wubagel

May 22, 2007
Does Applecare cover all kinds of breaks....water damage, dropping. I'm quite clumsy with breaking phones so I'm worried about it

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
hmm pretty much they will let you return it no questions asked. Im almost 100 percent sure they SHOULD ask you but they never asked me questions outside of contact information to confirm registration.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
I dropped my iPod about 2 feet onto thin carpet covered concrete (yay barracks) and it stopped working. But there was no visible damage from the outside.
The guy told me not to mention dropping it, walked to the back room, came back and handed me a brand new iPod.

I walked out of there feeling like I stole the thing.
Oh, and I didn't have Applecare.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
How long after your warranty was it? They usually make you pay 20 replacement fee.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
I'm going to say it was... 4 months after.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007

My dad was "pressured" to get Applecare when he got me and my sister's iMacs (and now regrets it). I doubt I'll ever need it since if I have any problems with my iMac I'll just fix it my self.
The plan does not start over. Once it reaches a year from the original purchase date, the manufacture warranty is over, and you get no free help without Applecare.