Broken lock button?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by J-94, Mar 25, 2013.

1. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

Anyone else having an issue with the lock button? It's not stuck as it still clicks, but sometimes it takes 5+ clicks to successfuly lock the screen. Im probably gonna head to the Apple store within the week to try and get a new phone.

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Mine works fine. Does it happen even when it's not in a case? If so, I'd have the phone replaced by Apple.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have a similar situation but slightly different. Sometimes when my iPhone 5 is locked, I'm unable to get the screen to show again to unlock it. I press home button and lock button and it just won't show screen. After several tries it finally does.

I've always had a case on my iPhone but this has never occurred.

Sent using iCafe app

4. J-94

J-94 Zealot
    Bronze

It happens even when it's not in the case haha. It's quite frustrating.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Sound like a bad switch/sensor. My 4s lock button didn't click but worked fine and they replaced it no problem.

6. dubr1k

dubr1k New Member

7. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I know a girl who has the same problem with her phone.

Sent using iCafe app

8. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I had this problem with my 4. I tried some tricks online, but ultimately took it back to Apple. As it was out of warranty, they cleaned out the dust inside the phone and it started working again. Definitely go to Apple...

9. JIS

JIS Member
    Bronze

Yes, right side went, left still worked but was getting funky. Got a replacement phone minimal questions asked.

10. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Mine just started giving me issues. If I don't live near an Apple store what are my options to get this fixed or replaced? The Verizon store I bought from?
    Thanks!

Sent using iCafe app

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, Verizon can't help you with this. If you don't live near an Apple Store, Apple will ship you a replacement with free two-day shipping if you have Apple Care+. If you don't have AppleCare+, you'll have to pay $29 for shipping. You then return the old iPhone in the same box after printing the shipping label. Apple covers the return shipping. There will be a hold on your credit care for the retail value of the phone until they receive the old iPhone.

12. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

That sucks. I may call my local store I bought from anyway to see what they say

Sent using iCafe app

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it was more than a month ago they likely won't be able to help you, but calling them only takes a minute and it can't hurt. $29 is not bad though. You'd probably spend that much in gas driving to your nearest Apple Store.

14. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I called my local store and they referred me to Verizon customer service. I called them and no questions asked they are shipping me a replacement. Free of charge.

Sent using iCafe app

15. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

If this thread is about the sleep/wake button, I just took my iPhone 5 in today. Made the appointment online and filled in the comment section that my sleep/wake button wasn't locking the phone.
    I showed up 10 minutes early, checked in, and walked out with a replacement within 10 minutes. I got the impression that this is a "known" problem, since most of the time I'll be told a number of things I should try to fix the issue.
    In this case, not a single protest, just a "we cannot repair this type of problem, so we are going to swap it out- if that's ok"

Sent using iCafe app

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Awesome. Just out of curiosity, how long have you had this iPhone? Also, if you don't mind, please post how many GB your iPhone is and which version of the firmware your replacement has before you update it.

17. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I have a white 64GB ip5, firmware 6.1.2, and that's what I got back.

Sent using iCafe app

18. abough87

abough87 New Member

I had this problem with my 32gb black i5 and took it to the Apple store and they replaced it on the spot no charge :)

19. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I bought it in late October sometime.. It's a 16gig. I just hope the replacement isn't marked up in any way. Mine is mint and they are sending a "certified like new" replacement. I will post the firmware info when it arrives tomorrow? Just curious why you want to know? Also to make sure everything syncs I just need to use iTunes and sync this phone and then plug new one in and sync it with the computer right?

Sent using iCafe app

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

When you connect to iTunes, it will ask if you want to restore your backup from the old iPhone 5. Then you can sync it.

6.1.3 isn't jailbreakable, and a lot of us are doing all that we can to stay on 6.1.2 or lower since there's no going back. Most replacements are on older firmware, but eventually Apple will start rolling out replacements with 6.1.3. I'm just interested in keeping tabs on when that starts. The 64 GB models are the least likely to have 6.1.3 since they don't have as high of a turnover because they are the most expensive and thereforee have the lowest demand. Since yours is a 16 GB, it might have 6.1.3, but I think it's more likely that it will have 6.1.2.