Broken power cord for MBP.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
My sister has had a macbook pro for about 9 months now and her wire as broken right near the magnetic end. Doing a quick google search it looks like this has been happening to a lot of people and looks like Apple is making improvements on the product so it doesn't happen again.

My question is, is my sister going to get a new power source for free (she even has Apple care) or should she order one now online and wait 1-2 weeks for it to ship?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
My sister has had a macbook pro for about 9 months now and her wire as broken right near the magnetic end. Doing a quick google search it looks like this has been happening to a lot of people and looks like Apple is making improvements on the product so it doesn't happen again.

My question is, is my sister going to get a new power source for free (she even has Apple care) or should she order one now online and wait 1-2 weeks for it to ship?
The power supply is definitely covered by the warranty and should be replaced free of charge.

If she has an Apple Store nearby, she should be able to walk in, show them the powers supply, and walk out with a new unit...no questions asked.

This is a very common problem, as you found out, but I seem to hear more about the small cable fraying where it attaches to the power brick...not near the MagSafe part.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Damage to the power cord

is usually not covered.

"If the DC cable shows visible strain relief damage, is severely crimped/bent, or if the cable is missing insulation or rubber in some areas, contact AppleCare (using the contact information listed in step 5.). You should not use power adapters that have strain relief damage or missing insulation or rubber. Please note that damage resulting from excessive force or improper use is not covered by Apple's one year limited warranty."

It's hard to prove that a frayed power cord was handled without excessive force.
I had to replace mine after about a year (I have a 3-year Applecare plan) and I had to pay for it.