Broken vibrate/ring switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zigs88, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Zigs88

Zigs88 New Member

I just dropped my phone and now it wont toggle between ring and vibrate its stuck on vibrate. I have tried calling and texting it and it only vibrates. Any input?

2. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

So if the switch doesn't work and its stuck in vibrate mode, I think it might be stuck in vibrate.

Have you tried resetting it or restoring it?

3. Zigs88

Zigs88 New Member

Haven't restored yet, but its been reset still doesn't work. Think its covered under warranty?

4. tfg

tfg New Member

I have a similar problem, but mine will toggle between the volume and vibrate, but when it's in the vibrate setting it won't vibrate and it's just silent. This just started happening recently. I dropped the phone a few months ago, but it still worked after that, so i'm not sure what this is.

I think this is an actual problem with the physical switch, not the software. My solution is a very crude one, but it seems to work. I just bang on the back of the phone a few times by slapping it into my other hand when holding it. Probably not advised, but it seemed to unjar the toggle and it works again. It definatley isn't a permanent solution because it happens from time to time.

5. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

It wont be covered under warranty because this happened because YOU dropped it. Human error.

It probably could be covered under warranty, only if you tell them it stopped working, and theres NO damage at all to that area.

6. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Have you tried resetting it or restoring?
    And is it set to vibrate when the silent switch is on?

7. tfg

tfg New Member

Haven't restored, but have reset a bunch of times. Yes, the vibrate setting is always the first thing i check before to make sure it's on before i start rapping the back of it.

8. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Okay, and if there is no damage to your phone, this should be covered under warranty.

You should try taking it in to an Apple Store and see if they'll replace it...they will only if your warranty isn't expired though.

9. Zigs88

Zigs88 New Member

LOL beating it seemed to work! Thank you for your help guys, I'm still going to see if its covered though.

10. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Is there any damage to your phone though? Around the same area as the switch? Dents or anything?

11. Zigs88

Zigs88 New Member

there's a scratch above the Apple logo

12. Saverino

Saverino Zealot
    Gold

Well as long as theres no damage by the ringer switch, it should be under warranty.

13. ksennette

ksennette Member
    Bronze

If your phone is jailbroken, there is an app in installer called Silent Switch Bypass. The info says(will bypass a broken silent switch to give back your system sounds). I hope this helps.

14. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

Has anybody actually took there iPhone apart to see this switch issue? I just dropped mine the other day, and the same thing happened to me, so I'm switch-less. Not a big deal, maybe only used it once since I've had the 3g.

Does anybody know how the switch works? Would it be a take apart thing and possibly repair without buying a switch assembly? I tried smacking on the back and no dice, I don't want to hit it very hard though...I just would find it interesting to know if taking it apart could be the fix.

Also, does your switch that is broke have any pressure anymore on it? Mine switches very freely now, not like it use to be. Anybody have any ideas or solutions, or did you get anything out of Apple, should I not take it apart?

15. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

Also is there a jailbroken app that allows me to switch from vibrate to ringing without actually using the switch? Silent Switch Bypass is for if you have your phone stuck on vibrate and you want to bypass it. Suggestions?

16. iChristian

iChristian New Member
    Bronze

If there is any dents or anything of that nature on your phone Apple will probably say its not covered because "it appears as accidental damage". Just trying warn you.

17. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

Nah, I've already realized I can't go to Apple for this, I've talked to them and they said to contact a third party company cause it would would be cheaper than them fixing it, but I don't really trust any third party to fix my phone, especially when its something I could do myself. But thats why I'm on here just to see if anybody has an experience fixing this switch or tearing the 3g open....

18. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

Thanks for all the input on the broken switch. Just to give a followup what I did, I actually went to Apple about it again, and they replaced it. They said normally they wouldn't do it since it had been dropped, but they exchanged it anyway. Now, that being said I didn't stay it was dropped when I went again, I just said that the switch stopped working.....haha I'm going to hell.

19. ancdramaqueen

ancdramaqueen New Member

GET "SILENT ALERT" IT WORKS BUT IS $5.00! OK REALLY ONLY $4.99 BUT CLOSE ENOUGH L! IT WORKED FOR ME... I DROPPED MY PHONE AND MY BUTTON BROKE BY GETTING STICK ON VIBRATE AND MY MOM WAS GOING TO GO GET ME A CRAPPY PHONE TILL I COULD UPGRADE BECAUSE SHE COULD NEVER REACH ME SO IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS AND ABSOLUTELY NEED YOUR PHONE TO RING/VIBRATE GET THIS APP! Looks like this: with a line through it and a ! In the bottom left corner! Good luck! :) :) ;)

20. ancdramaqueen

ancdramaqueen New Member

Made the FOUR MAIN SOOTS AT THE BOTTON OF THE HOME SCREEN!