Browsers: Google Chrome, Internet Explorer & Safari

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I'm currently going through a process of weeding out Google; long story, they are too nosy :(
In doing so, I need to also get away from Google Chrome. But, seriously, Google have the services and options for that application working just right, no? Built-in spell checker, built-in option to sync with other devices, etc. Plug-ins, and the list goes on, and on...

Seriously, it has taken Internet Explorer till version 10 just to get a spell check feature/option. Let's not add, Internet Explorer doesn't give you an option to sync with other devices, etc. Albeit, you can use the iCloud Control Panel sync option. Then I have to ask myself, what about non-Apple devices? Well? See...

All that to say/ask, what options does one have for a decent browser for browsing the internet these days OTHER than Google Chrome?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
You may have already gotten that recommendation more than once, but I'd give FireFox a shot. I love Google Chrome and still use it because it is the perfect combination of a fast and feature-filled browser and that is because I'm a huge fan of add-ons and I use A LOT of them on a daily basis. That being said, FireFox is about the only browser that comes close to Chrome when it comes to add-ons and syncing between devices (which as I mentioned I use daily). I'm not sure if there's a FireFox browser for iOS, but there's one for Android and it works when it comes to syncing just like Chrome does.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm sticking with Chrome for now, but I would go back to Firefox if I decided to stop using it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I stick to safari for personal use, but use chrome for work. Chrome sync is amazing if you don't have any privacy concerns.

if I were a windows person, I'd definitely be using Firefox for personal stuff.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I stick to safari for personal use, but use chrome for work. Chrome sync is amazing if you don't have any privacy concerns.

Firefox on Windows is pretty good except a lot of people, including myself, can't log in to Twitter. I use Chrome for that. Lame.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I switched to Chrome a few years ago after you listed the benefits over Firefox. I get why you use Safari, but why did Chrome fall out of favor with you in comparison to Firefox?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I switched to Chrome a few years ago after you listed the benefits over Firefox. I get why you use Safari, but why did Chrome fall out of favor with you in comparison to Firefox?
I switched a couple years ago because chrome for OSX does not sync bookmarks and logins with iOS Safari. xmarks used to do that, but then it stopped working.

But after the last year, it's now more to do with Google starting to really piss me off. Chrome is a great browser, but I just don't feel comfortable giving google a window into my personal life. It's still impossible to avoid completely, but I'm trying to draw the shades closed at least.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I'm right there with acosmichippo. Why do Google feel they have to be, "All up in my businesss"? Honestly...

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I use Chrome on Windows 7 and before that it was Firefox. From my experience, Chrome is faster and easier to use since it appeals to the minimalist. There are several extensions to put it up there with Firefox. Security is a concern, but either way my information is going to get out there in one form or another. The real question is how to stop it.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I sometimes use chrome but I don't log in. Safari is my main browser.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
The most stable version is 26. It's taken them quite awhile to catch up to the competition. At one point, I had IE, Firefox, and Chrome when I was doing web development.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I have been having a few problems with Chrome lately and I decided to install FireFox today and I am loving it so far. It seems light and stable and it has a lot of add-ons and I am now syncing between my computer and my phone.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I have been having a few problems with Chrome lately and I decided to install FireFox today and I am loving it so far. It seems light and stable and it has a lot of add-ons and I am now syncing between my computer and my phone.
What problems did you have with Chrome if you don't mind me asking? There are a couple sites that I can't load, but it is my go to browser.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
What problems did you have with Chrome if you don't mind me asking? There are a couple sites that I can't load, but it is my go to browser.
I've never tried Chrome on my puter. But on my phone, I got tired of them warning me about sites I was going to. Those sites were safe. They use a lot of security, and Chrome can't figure them out, so they post those stupid warnings. I got really fed up with it. Google can't do their snoop thing, so they warn. I kept Chrome about a week, then deleted it. Safari works fine for me on my phone.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Yeah, I only use Safari on my phone. I have also tested Dolphin, Mercury, 360, Opera, and Atomic. I know that Atomic can handle Flash content. On my desktop, I run Chrome or Firefox .

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Well there are quite a few, but the most recent one is problems with Internet Download Manager integration. IDM is one of my favorite applications and I use it on a daily basis, and recently I haven't even been able to play videos on Chrome because IDM integration is messed up (I've tried a lot of troubleshooting methods to no avail) - instead of playing the video it just immediately opens up IDM and asks me if I want to download it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yeah, I only use Safari on my phone. I have also tested Dolphin, Mercury, 360, Opera, and Atomic. I know that Atomic can handle Flash content. On my desktop, I run Chrome or Firefox .
I've never known Atomic Browser to handle Flasb content. My latest version doesn't.