Buffering is ridiculous while streaming video from iPhone to Apple TV

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
Wifi is susceptible to interference from cordless phones, microwave ovens, and other wifi routers and/or access points. And interior walls and floors could also cause problems with the signal. So look around for interfering devices or possibly a neighbor's router.

The fact that the OP's problem went away when he connected his ATV via a patch cord demonstrated that there is poor signal quality in his environment. Also, consider that when both the ATV and iPhone are using wifi, the signal doesn't go directly between them but is actually received and re-sent by the wifi router. So, if either the iPhone or ATV has a poor connectivity with the wifi router, the connection speed will suffer.

For a very technical analysis of wifi performance in a home environment, check out this blog article:

http://jasmcole.com/2014/08/25/helmhurts/

For those of you who aren't physics or math wizards, skip past the math and look at the illustrations to see how the signal propagates based on the location of the wifi router.

-rb

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
@RBNetEngr
My cable modem is hardwired to my WiFi router (3TB Time Capsule) w 1 foot cat5, typical speed in room is 22Mbps down @ 12ms ping, AppleTV 2 feet away (direct line of sight) from Time Capsule & IPhone 6+ 3 feet away (direct line of sight as well) and I still get unacceptable buffering most times using AirPlay from mobile device.
Oddly enough(to my limited understanding, at least), content streamed from ATV3 directly to surround system does not suffer anywhere near the lag....

This has not always been the case with the same basic setup over the past few years, but seeks to have started, IIRC around the release of iOS 7

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I was getting a horrible wifi signal in one room that was about 34 feet from the modem. After a conversation with a radio shack guy, it turned out there were metal objects between where I sat in the room and the modem. A 26 cu. ft. fridge, range, washer and dryer, and a large metal toolbox. All that metal interfered with the signal. He said even rebar in the walls can mess with the signal.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I have a Gigabit wireless router and the ATV3 is not too far from the router and I still buffer all the time. I have it and my iPhone 6 Plus running on the 5ghz frequency and the other devices running on 2.4ghz. It's got to be the ATV. It's also been freezing a lot more lately when running Airplay. QC has gone down with Apple.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
My ATV is using Wi-Fi and is one floor directly below my router which sits atop my computer hutch upstairs. I've never had any problems with buffering while either viewing the ATV directly or using my iPad to stream Amazon Prime via Wi-Fi.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 6