build iPhone 3GS or 3G yourself

Do you think it's possibile to build your own iphone?

• Yes

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

bemania

May 26, 2008
Switzerland
www.meridia.ch
hi,

since a lot of parts for repair for the iPhone are available on the market for everyone to buy.

i was wondering if anybody knows if there are all of the parts available to really build a new one from scratch?

if yes, are there any good tutorials where how to assemble it and install the mac osx? and where can i buy all the parts needed?

would be pretty cool!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Holy willing to do a hell of a lot of work to save a few bucks!

Actually, I think the parts would cost a lot more than the assembled iPhones.

Have you watched the seemingly 2,000 step tutorials for replacing the screens? If you can't replace the screen in your sleep, I wouldn't even attempt building an iPhone from scratch.

bemania

May 26, 2008
Switzerland
www.meridia.ch
Holy willing to do a hell of a lot of work to save a few bucks!

Actually, I think the parts would cost a lot more than the assembled iPhones.

Have you watched the seemingly 2,000 step tutorials for replacing the screens? If you can't replace the screen in your sleep, I wouldn't even attempt building an iPhone from scratch.
i just fixed an iPhone's cracked display yesterday. it went pretty well. though i have to admit, you have to do your homework. it's important to get the right "repair-tutorial". so i saw a little of the iPhone's inside.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I don't think that you can buy every part that makes up a iPhone

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I agree, I doubt you could get the entire part list. And even if you could, it would cost a lot more than a new assembled unit and it would have no warranty.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
And without it being registered with Apple it might not be able to sync with iTunes as an iPhone or maybe not at all. Europa brought up the biggest point of it not being under warranty. If you don't build it perfect you will have problems and end up replacing parts putting more money into it. You also have to be ok with it possibly not looking perfect in the craftsmanship. Also it might not be compatible with future OS's and at that point you have to figure it out. I just think you will have problems with it registering with Apple and even with AT&T since it's not official.

But if you built one perfect enough visually and had a problem internally, I wonder if you could get a genius at the Apple store stupid enough to replace it for you thinking it was a real one and then you would get a real one. Although I wouldn't suggest it cause who knows what kind of trouble you could get into by taking it to them.

jopiej

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
Planet Earth
You might end up with a brick. But it's totally cool if you can build one that is actually working. You can start your iPhone repair store after that. lol

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Unless you know how to solder and have access to a soldering iron, don't bother. You need to solder the battery.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
And without it being registered with Apple it might not be able to sync with iTunes as an iPhone or maybe not at all. Europa brought up the biggest point of it not being under warranty. If you don't build it perfect you will have problems and end up replacing parts putting more money into it. You also have to be ok with it possibly not looking perfect in the craftsmanship. Also it might not be compatible with future OS's and at that point you have to figure it out. I just think you will have problems with it registering with Apple and even with AT&T since it's not official.

But if you built one perfect enough visually and had a problem internally, I wonder if you could get a genius at the Apple store stupid enough to replace it for you thinking it was a real one and then you would get a real one. Although I wouldn't suggest it cause who knows what kind of trouble you could get into by taking it to them.
Think about it for a second. The OP won't be selling the iPhone so they can't get into any trouble for copyright infringements or anything of that sort. Also what could Apple do to them? Ban them from buying any more Apple products?

UpTheIrons

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
In addition to finding the parts, you wouldn't be able to find the plans. I bet Apple has them in a vaulted room with laser security sensors buried 1,000 feet underground.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Why not try building something simpler from scratch to "save a few bucks" like... well.... a satellite?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
lol, how ironic, if you google "How to build an iPhone from scratch", the second listing takes you right to this thread.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Think about it for a second. The OP won't be selling the iPhone so they can't get into any trouble for Copyright infringements or anything of that sort. Also what could Apple do to them? Ban them from buying any more Apple products?
Not really any trouble but they will probably have the right to take the phone away since it wasn't an official iPhone and Apple holds all the patents, copyrights, trademarks, etc. It could turn into the jailbreaking thing where they don't like it but they aren't going to sue you over it. All I am saying is that they obviously aren't getting any help from Apple if there is a problem.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So, to summarize...

1. The parts would be much more expensive than buying an iPhone since you wouldn't have volume pricing.
2. All of the parts required probably aren't available to consumers (although you could probably get them from old iPhones).
3. It would be a PITA.
4. You would not have a warranty.
5. It wouldn't have the resale value of an Official Apple iPhone (I imagine it would be looked at as an imitation iPhone)
6. You probably wouldn't be able to get the FW installed or get it activated since it wouldn't be registered with Apple or have an authentic ECID or serial number.
7. You probably wouldn't be able to find the complete building/manufacturing/schematics/plans, I doubt Apple publicizes them.
8. There may be some legal issues, such as copyright infringement.

I'm sticking with no...

Dozer56

Jun 9, 2009
I doubt the main processer is available to build one completly from scratch but seems like all the other parts are available, and seeing completely smashed and broken iPhones sell on ebay for $100+ - 200 and more someone is able to do something with them. I'd like to try rebuilding or combining 1 or 2 to a rebuilt phone sometime, just parts go for more than it seems there worth.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Unless you know how to solder and have access to a soldering iron, don't bother. You need to solder the battery.
No you don't.

You can buy an iPhone battery as it comes. I know this for a fact as i've stripped my iPhone to replace the back cover with a nice blue one, I had to pull the battery of the back plate, I nearly broke it in the process. It comes with contacts that connect to the motherboard and so on.

If you could get the motherboard, battery, camera parts, headphone jack parts etc etc etc.... then it's just a case of getting a screen and housing.

It depends how deep the OP wants to go into getting the individual parts. But as stated, you would have no warranty whatsoever.

It's just like building a computer, you get all the major parts, which are all available, even if you buy broken iPhones off eBay or CL and you can make yourself an iPhone.

I think you guys are thinking a little deep. With maybe 2 broken iPhones you could build a perfectly working iPhone. It's what I do on the side. Buy broken one's, replace screens etc (sorry for the over use of 'etc') and sell them for more money and make profit etc.. easy money- eBay is my friend.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
John, do you have any pics of the blue back cover? That's awesome!