Bumpers - Which Do you Like?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
It wasn't directed towards you. It was directed towards @liberated's comment. I should've quoted him/her. I was just adding to your line. lol

Sent using iCafe app
I've never had a broken phone from a lack of a case lol Funny how people get testy when someone does not share their opinion. Just because I think bumpers are silly, doesn't mean they are ineffective :)

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I've never had a broken phone from a lack of a case lol Funny how people get testy when someone does not share their opinion. Just because I think bumpers are silly, doesn't mean they are ineffective :)

Sent using iCafe app
I wasn't testy. Just foolin' with you. I was in a bad mood yesterday. Sorry, if it came across wrong.

Sent using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I wasn't testy. Just foolin' with you. I was in a bad mood yesterday. Sorry, if it came across wrong.

Sent using iCafe app
You don't need to be sorry, I should not have said you were being testy, it was a poor choice of words on my part, I was just expressing an opinion, with the vast majority of people liking cases, it was a silly position for me to take on this thread :)

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
You don't need to be sorry, I should not have said you were being testy, it was a poor choice of words on my part, I was just expressing an opinion, with the vast majority of people liking cases, it was a silly position for me to take on this thread :)

Sent using iCafe app
It's okay. I appreciate anyone's comments regarding bumpers, including yours. :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think bumpers do add some much needed protection. If they have a decent amount of silicone, they will likely mirror protection found in full cases. How many dropped iPhones hit the side or corners? Take this Belkin Grip Candy. It's mostly bumper. The back is for scratch protection. There is no silicone in the back to offer any sort of shock absorption.

That being said, not all bumpers offer protection. Some are pure style, which is their intention.

Last edited:

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Just installed my SGP Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal Satin White bumper.I like it. No issues with the buttons. Wish there were installation instructions, though. Will do a complete review after a few days or a week.

Sent using iCafe app

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Just installed my SGP Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal Satin White bumper.I like it. No issues with the buttons. Wish there were installation instructions, though. Will do a complete review after a few days or a week.

Sent using iCafe app
I love my SGP (Yellow)...only thing is it's a little lose but I really don't notice it. Very thin and not in the way! :D

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I love my SGP (Yellow)...only thing is it's a little lose but I really don't notice it. Very thin and not in the way! :D
I'm a little bummed that I didn't ask if the 30-pin to lightning adapter fit. It doesn't.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm a little bummed that I didn't ask if the 30-pin to lightning adapter fit. It doesn't.
Didn't you mention that you have a 0.2 m Apple adapter in another thread? The short adapter doesn't fit, but the 0.2 m is compatible with the SGP Neo Hybrid Vivid case he was referring to (I have the Snow, which is basically the same case, and it works fine). I know your SGP is a Metal, not Vivid or Snow, but I would have guess that the port cutout was the same size. If it is a little smaller, you should be able to cut the adapter down a bit like I did for my Element.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Didn't you mention that you have a 0.2 m Apple adapter in another thread? The short adapter doesn't fit, but the 0.2 m is compatible with the SGP Neo Hybrid Vivid case he was referring to. I know your SGP is a Metal, not Vivid, but I would have guess that the port cutout was the same size. If it is a little smaller, you should be able to cut the adapter down a bit like I did for my Element.
Yes, that's the adapter I mentioned above. No the whole must be smaller. I was going to try to Dremel it like you did.

Sent using iCafe app

Link182kidd

Bronze
Jul 3, 2011
Bumpers are cool but i personally agree with the above comment naked is the best way. But if i had to choose i'd go with the second of the links you posted.

Sent using iPhone 5.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I agree I like naked feel. I'm careful but the bezel on the black phone sucks. Mine is quite nicked up now. All I do is put the phone in my pocket, set in my car on console and on my desk. Simple wear and tear is hard on the stupid bezel. Most are edge changes. Little nicks and scrapes. No way to protect if naked.
The nicks on the black so easily show because there silver looking.

They drive my OCD crazy. Lol

Sent using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm a borderline monoprice addict. Before my iPhone 5 even arrived, I already ordered (and received) four cases. This is the one that I'm currently using:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=11213&cs_id=1083111&p_id=9772&seq=1&format=2

I'm not as careless as some people I know, so I like to keep really sleek/svelte cases. The size of the iPhone 5 is impressive so I'd like to retain that.
This is what I use, and it's the best bumper I've found. The fit is superb, even better than Apple's bumper for iPhone 4's. The protection is great for a bumper; I've dropped my phone once from about chest hight onto concrete, and there was no damage done. And it's only like 6 bucks with shipping.

The only downside is the button covers are a little firm, and make pressing the volume and power buttons a tad more difficult.

edit: Remembered one more downside; I got a white one for my girlfriend, and the silicon part absorbed color from her makeup and leather purse, so it turned red/beige on the edges. My black ones still looks perfect, but of course I don't wear makeup or have a purse.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
This is what I use, and it's the best bumper I've found. The fit is superb, even better than Apple's bumper for iPhone 4's. The protection is great for a bumper; I've dropped my phone once from about chest hight onto concrete, and there was no damage done. And it's only like 6 bucks with shipping.

The only downside is the button covers are a little firm, and make pressing the volume and power buttons a tad more difficult.

edit: Remembered one more downside; I got a white one for my girlfriend, and the silicon part absorbed color from her makeup and leather purse, so it turned red/beige on the edges. My black ones still looks perfect, but of course I don't wear makeup or have a purse.
I bought Mindi and me a couple of those. I liked it. Pretty nice, especially for the price.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I love mine, still no issues and it's been on for weeks. The buttons are very responsive unlike some of the cheap ones out there.