Button On the top

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
when ever I'm on a call and I press the button on the top why does it hang up on the person I am talking too? it never used to do that it would just go to stand by and let me talk to the person..

H

Hayesimus

why WOULD you hit the top button?

__DorkSterr

Bronze
Jan 20, 2008
I usually hit the top button when im on a call because I want it to go on stand by mode so it doesn't drain the batt.

H

Hayesimus

you do realize that when you put the phone to you face it will automatically deactivate the screen right?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
why WOULD you hit the top button?
Beat me to it. Not to be a smart a** but there is no reason to do this. You will have no extra battery drain while you are on the phone. The screen dims when you are on a call.
To your original question though, I have no answer because I have never tried this. I would seem to me that it would hang up on the caller, but if you say it used to work I have no idea why it doesn't now.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
The iPhone DOES go into standby when the phone is up to your ear, however... if you put the call on speaker and place it on your lap, the phone does not go into standby.
Ive done this before and pressed the Sleep button to save the screen for those couple of minutes but mine has never hung up on the person.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The only time that pushing the top button will cause the phone to go into standby is if I'm listening to music and then receive a call. Most often I look at the phone to see who it is, hit the answer button, and then hit the top button to turn the screen off while I put the phone back into my pocket.

If I'm just taking a call, I use the top button to end the call, it's often easier than trying to hit the END button on the screen.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If you have it on speakerphone or are using a headset (wired or wireless), it will go to sleep when you hit that button, rather than hanging up the call. When you're using the handset (i.e. the phone mic and the earpiece above the screen), it automatically shuts off the display and touch sensor when you have it close to your face, so there is no battery life benefit gained from hitting the sleep button. That's why they made it hang up the call in that case, because the phone already minimizes power when you're using the handset.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
If you have it on speakerphone or are using a headset (wired or wireless), it will go to sleep when you hit that button, rather than hanging up the call. When you're using the handset (i.e. the phone mic and the earpiece above the screen), it automatically shuts off the display and touch sensor when you have it close to your face, so there is no battery life benefit gained from hitting the sleep button. That's why they made it hang up the call in that case, because the phone already minimizes power when you're using the handset.

Good to know fury! Thanks