Buy 16gb or wait for 32gb?

jsskateboarder

New Member
Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
105
0
0
28
Texas
#1
I have a first gen iPhone and I'm needing a 3G connection due to the amount of time I spend with my phone. But here's the dilemma, should I wait for the 32gb or just give in to 16? I have a very very strong feeling that if I buy the 16, the 32 will be out within the week... What should I do?!
 

uPhone559

New Member
Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
389
1
0
#2
i was going to wait but i didn't
 

bubbatex

New Member
Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
36
0
0
Austin, TX
#3
If you can't wait another 4 months, then go ahead. I think that by June/July we'll know what's next. I really want one (my first), but it just does not make sense to get one now when the new one will be here soon. IMHO.
 

gea

New Member
Jan 15, 2009
18
0
1
#4
wait till 2014 and get the 100gb
 
Jun 19, 2007
33,493
4,550
113
Upper Marlboro, MD
#7
I have a first gen iPhone and I'm needing a 3G connection due to the amount of time I spend with my phone. But here's the dilemma, should I wait for the 32gb or just give in to 16? I have a very very strong feeling that if I buy the 16, the 32 will be out within the week... What should I do?!
More than just the extra memory, I'd be thinking about what possible new hardware changes there may be on the new iPhone. If you can hang in there a few more months, it may be worth it to get the new one when it comes out.
 

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
2,208
153
63
#8
Life is too short, if you want it...get it. There will always be something new around the corner, we may get lucky and AT&T/Apple may allow us to upgrade at the subsidized price (even though we are not eligible, like they did with the original to 3G) or they may not, if not, sell the 3G on ebay and buy the new one with an exception upgrade.
 

jsskateboarder

New Member
Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
105
0
0
28
Texas
#9
Life is too short, if you want it...get it. There will always be something new around the corner, we may get lucky and AT&T/Apple may allow us to upgrade at the subsidized price (even though we are not eligible, like they did with the original to 3G) or they may not, if not, sell the 3G on ebay and buy the new one with an exception upgrade.
Yeah but if I upgrade now, then that's 2 years right there.... I can't get the new release.
 

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
2,208
153
63
#10
Sure you can, a customer in good standing, that has not had an upgrade for 6 months may be eligible for an exception upgrade. On the iPhone 3G the exception upgrade price is 200 dollars more than the subsidized price, so 3G 8G is 399 and the 16G is 499, I would expect the same thing for the next generation. This being the end of Feb, you may have to wait a month or two to be eligible for the exception upgrade, but once you've had the 3G for 6 months and you pay your bills, you will be eligible. I really don't expect the next generation to cause resale values to go down by much, the original has held it's value very well. Selling the 3G on ebay (when the time comes) should easily cover the cost of the exception upgrade.

Also you sign a two year contract, but typically your upgrade eligible after 18 months, just makes good businesss sense to lock you into a new contract well before your original ends. If they made you wait till your contract was up, you'd be much more likely to move on to another carrier.
 
Feb 6, 2009
3
0
0
#11
Life is too short, if you want it...get it. There will always be something new around the corner, we may get lucky and AT&T/Apple may allow us to upgrade at the subsidized price (even though we are not eligible, like they did with the original to 3G) or they may not, if not, sell the 3G on ebay and buy the new one with an exception upgrade.
This is what I hope to do. I plan on buying my 3g Friday. I was telling some friends remember last time what they did for people already with and iPhone?
 

psylichon

Genius
Moderator
Oct 31, 2007
16,591
751
113
40
Philly
#12
I've told V1 owners to wait for the 3rd generation ever since the 2nd one came out last summer. I really want 3G, too, but it's just not worth it to me.

If you didn't have anything now and were jonesing for an iPhone, 4 months is a long wait. But especially if you have a V1 right now, I would definitely wait. I think it will be worth it for you.
 

twotoad

New Member
Feb 23, 2009
5
0
1
#13
I'm a V1 owner and I was completely prepared to wait. Until this morning...I got an email from bestbuy telling me that rewardzone members get $50 off a new iPhone and silver reward zone members get $100 off. I know this really isn't much but since Apple products are NEVER discounted this has got me thinking about jumping in. Anybody else get that email and start to rethink waiting?
 

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
2,808
15
38
Copenhagen, Denmark
#14
We don't know if there is going to be a 32GB version! Sure, there will be some nice new features and new case. If you can wait these 4-5 months, I think you be glad you did... ;)
 
Feb 23, 2009
11
0
0
#15
I think since if you just got the 3g a newer one will be here so i guess get the 16 and wait 2 years :)
 

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
7,617
3
38
31
Atlanta, Georgia
#16
I've told V1 owners to wait for the 3rd generation ever since the 2nd one came out last summer. I really want 3G, too, but it's just not worth it to me.

If you didn't have anything now and were jonesing for an iPhone, 4 months is a long wait. But especially if you have a V1 right now, I would definitely wait. I think it will be worth it for you.
I think Dave hit the nail right on the head. Since you already have a v1 iPhone and the space on the iPhone isn't THAT important, I would wait for the 3rd generation. It is almost guaranteed to have at least a 32GB memory as well as possible hardware upgrades. This is one of the rare occasions in which I would say wait.
 

jsskateboarder

New Member
Bronze
Mar 14, 2008
105
0
0
28
Texas
#17
I think Dave hit the nail right on the head. Since you already have a v1 iPhone and the space on the iPhone isn't THAT important, I would wait for the 3rd generation. It is almost guaranteed to have at least a 32GB memory as well as possible hardware upgrades. This is one of the rare occasions in which I would say wait.
But it's hard to waiiiiiit :( I'm kidding. I bought my V1 not even a handful of months before 3G was released and I felt like I was completely and utterly jipped since it was $200 less than my V1... So if it's waiting I must do, then waiting I WILL do...