Buy an iPhone but not using the phone part

Authentik

Sep 23, 2007
I have a couple questions and I was wondering if anybody on here could answer them for me :laugh2:

I want to basically use the iPhone as a PDA. I don't want the cell part because I'm currently happy with the cell phone service I have.

So is it possible to use the iPhone without having to sign up for a contract?

Like using the browser, camera, contacts, etc. but not having to use the cell phone part.

I don't want to really go for the iPod touch because it doesn't have the amount of functions the iPhone has.

Thanks a ton if you can answer my question! :)

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
you have to activate the phone with AT&T to use any of the functions on the phone (YouTube, WiFi internet, iPod, camera, etc.) To activate, you have to sign a contract.

There are plenty of ways to unlock the phone's functions without activating it with AT&T, though. Off hand, I'm not sure what they are, because i was already an AT&Tingular customer, so the service wasn't an issue. Look around the forums, or google it. You'll find something.

Jun 26, 2007
just so you know the ipod touch still stores contacts and stuff and is the same interface as the iPhone it just lacks a camera

iPhone69

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
South Florida
I have a couple questions and I was wondering if anybody on here could answer them for me :laugh2:

I want to basically use the iPhone as a PDA. I don't want the cell part because I'm currently happy with the cell phone service I have.

So is it possible to use the iPhone without having to sign up for a contract?

Like using the browser, camera, contacts, etc. but not having to use the cell phone part.

I don't want to really go for the iPod touch because it doesn't have the amount of functions the iPhone has.

Thanks a ton if you can answer my question! :)
you will have to do the att contract. There isn't a way around it, b/c whn you turn it on it only let's you make emergency calls.

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
There are a few pieces of software that will do a fake activation to allow you to use all of the phone features with out activating with AT&T. The advantages of the iPhone over the ipod touch is: camera, speaker and mic, hard buttons for volume, it is mod capable (ipod touch not yet, work in progress). A few applications that allow to activate the phone are, ibrickr or iNdependence. I am sure there are others out there that will work.

- Garrett

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, why not unlock it and keep your phone service too? :)

Authentik

Sep 23, 2007
There are a few pieces of software that will do a fake activation to allow you to use all of the phone features with out activating with AT&T. The advantages of the iPhone over the ipod touch is: camera, speaker and mic, hard buttons for volume, it is mod capable (ipod touch not yet, work in progress). A few applications that allow to activate the phone are, ibrickr or iNdependence. I am sure there are others out there that will work.

- Garrett
So it is possible?

Because a couple people on here // the Apple forums are saying you need to do the AT&T activation.

So there is a way to fake the activation?

I want the camera and extra features, which is why I want it over the iPod touch.

But I just don't wanna pay monthly or do any contracts.

biffyiffy

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
Are you a Mac user by chance? If so use independence. It will activate it for you. As far a what to use if you are a Windows user, cant help you there. Im sure there is something.

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
Not sure if ibrickr for windows will activate the phone or not. I do know there are a few applications out there that will activate the phone for you to use without service.

- Garrett

Authentik

Sep 23, 2007
People on the Apple discussion board was saying it was impossible because I needed a contract.

So before I go out and buy the iPhone soon, it IS possible to get all the normal features (except edge, etc.) but the camera, music, etc.

And all I have to do is connect the iPhone and run the programs? And I won't be bound to paying any monthly charges, etc.

And I don't have a Mac but I can get someone that does have one and just borrow theirs to run the unlocker.

Has anyone on the board done what I'm asking?

Also, would I need to buy a sim card or anything else other than the iPhone + programs.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
You can bypass the activation and use all function with WIFI.

If you unlock it and use T-Mobile, you will have no Visual Voicemail.

There are several Activation Bypass Software out there.