Buy from AT&T or Apple Store?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
Does it make any difference where you get it? Is one place better than the other for any reason?

Thanks!

NHenry5

Bronze
Jun 19, 2009
get it wherever you can find someone with them in stock.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I bought from ATT the first time and Apple this time.

No difference other than the employees at Apple are generally really helpful and nice and ATT employees act like you're torturing them when you buy something at their store.

Enjoy your new phone !

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Anyone having trouble finding stock should immediately go to Best Buy. I went there to get a case mid-day on Saturday (day before Father's Day). Not only was it empty, they had tons of phones and no one. Meanwhile at the Apple store at the mall, there was an hour and a half line.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Does it make any difference where you get it? Is one place better than the other for any reason?

Thanks!
Please buy it at the Apple Store. If you do, they can easily just trade you phone out for a new one any time there's a warranty issue. If you buy it from anywhere else (including Apple online store), everyone will STILL send you to the Apple store for support, but the Apple store will notice you didn't buy it from them and make you mail in your phone for warranty issues. At least this is how it was in 2007.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Please buy it at the Apple Store. If you do, they can easily just trade you phone out for a new one any time there's a warranty issue. If you buy it from anywhere else (including Apple online store), everyone will STILL send you to the Apple store for support, but the Apple store will notice you didn't buy it from them and make you mail in your phone for warranty issues. At least this is how it was in 2007.
?
I bought both my phones from the AT&T store down the street and if I have a problem I make an appointment with a Genius at the Apple store and they help me. The only time I have ever had to ship anything anywhere was when i called the 800MYAPPLE number and they gave me the option of making an appointment for me to see a genius or to send it in. The appointment would have been 4 days away. Having them send me a box and ship it to them was a 2.5 day turn around.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I would prefer to buy from an Apple store, but I found out I get a discount on the data plan through the Premier store on AT&T's website. I'm not sure if Apple can apply the Fan discount to the new data plan when I go to purchase the phone; does anybody know? I just don't want to sign up at the Apple store then have issues through AT&T not giving me the discount.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I would prefer to buy from an Apple store, but I found out I get a discount on the data plan through the Premier store on AT&T's website. I'm not sure if Apple can apply the Fan discount to the new data plan when I go to purchase the phone; does anybody know? I just don't want to sign up at the Apple store then have issues through AT&T not giving me the discount.
Apple probably can't, but you can apply the FAN discount yourself, just look on your Premier site for how. I did both mine and my Wife's. It looks like the company I work for might be dropping AT&T altogether though, so I don't know how much longer it's going to last.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I have no scientific data to back this up and this is just my experience, but the Apple store is 1,000,000 times better than any AT&T store for the experience. Much nicer, more helpful and I guess for me, it just feels better knowing that I bought a specific product at that product's store..

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
Both times (3G and 3GS) I got them from the Apple store. I found them to be quicker and more helpful than the phone store.

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
I bought both of my iPhone's (3G last year and 3GS last Friday) from my local AT&T store and had a much better experience this year than last. I was in and out with 2 3GS's in about 30 minutes. This was on my lunch break, and I was honestly surprised they still had some. There's also an Apple store close by me, but the lines were crazy.

I've also been able to walk into the Apple store and talk to a genius about warranty issues. They switched out my fiancee's phone when her vibrate switch stopped working on her 3G even though we bought hers at Best Buy. Apple does a good job of supporting their products no matter where you buy them, as long as the water indicator dot isn't pink! :laugh2:

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I have a FAN number here, and since I had to go through AT&T for 3G (but not with V1) I followed suit and pre-ordered via AT&T online on 6/12. With 3G could only have it go to the store, but this time around, had the option for it to be sent to my house and opted for this. It arrived right on time, on launch day 6/19. I had no problem at all activating it-it was up and running in a flash.
I never did get clarification whether I could have gone through Apple since I do have a FAN account, but as noted, I had no problems with AT&T either this year or last. Orders were timely, activation went fine, etc, and I loved being able to activate right from home and not have to wait around at the store.