Buy from AT&T or Apple?

tylerdw89

Jul 3, 2007
Would you purchase the iPhone at an Apple Store or an AT&T store? Are there benefits to buying it at one place over the other?

Thanks!

odanrot

Jul 4, 2007
That's an easy one since I bought one from both places.

Go to the Apple store. I had a problem with my iPhone and I simply walked in, talked to the manager, and they activated a new one and had me on my way in 20 minutes with a fully activated phone. No way this would happen at AT&T.

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
I would go to an Apple store. I was in, bought my phone, and out in under 5 minutes. I drove him and I had my phone activated in under 30 minutes.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007

Go to the Apple store. I had a problem with my iPhone and I simply walked in, talked to the manager, and they activated a new one and had me on my way in 20 minutes with a fully activated phone. No way this would happen at AT&T.
If you would have bought your iPhone at an AT&T store and had a problem, could you have walked in to the Apple store, talked to the manager, activated a new one and been on your way in 20 minutes?

The reason I ask ..... I have an AT&T store half the distance away as the closest Apple store. I don't need any questions answered, don't need any "demo's" of the features ...... just give me the phone - here's my charge card. If I have any problems with the phone (battery, crashing, something not working properly) - I head to the Apple store. But to simply purchase .... is there any disadvantage with buying from an AT&T store?

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
Thanks! Really the answer I was hoping for. Been in AT&T/Cingular stores before. Not impressed.
well since there isn't an Apple store anywhere near hear, i went to the AT&T store. the employees are sick of the iPhone and pissed off that Apple forced AT&T to charge only $20 a month for data and not $40. if you come in to return it, they tell you to call Apple. i expect you'll have a better experience at the Apple store.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
You can buy from the At&t store and if you have problems don't take it back there go directly to Apple store.
By the way, I also use to have At&t and it sucked, I didn't get reception in my own house and always dropped calls. I was with Verizon prior to iPhone which was great, didn't have the dropped calls and have traveled through out the U.S. and it was always great reception.
Now because of iPhone I went back to At&t and have been pleasantly surprised at the improvements. I have not had dropped calls, can get reception everywhere I have gone so far. My mother lives near mountains where At&t would never work and now it's even working there.
I was reluctant to change but I am very satisfied and happy I did.
I think At&t has definitely improved.

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
i expect you'll have a better experience at the Apple store.
If I have any problems with the phone and need to take it back or need help.... I know I'll have a better experience at the Apple store. Simply want to purchase, period - at the AT&T store. Don't need to discuss life's mysteries or become buddies with the store employees/manager at the AT&T store. Like I said - "give me the phone, here's my credit card, where do I sign."

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah they're really both the same to purchase. It's just sign and go. HOWEVER like it's been said, always take it to the Apple store for help, no matter where it was purchased.

BIGTIMEBALLER504

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007

VERY TRUE! also Apple gives u a 1 year warranty for free no way u wud get that ATT .. u wud have to "buy it" and if u don't have warranty they will just spit u out the door buy it from Apple ! i took my phone in today because one of the buttons jammed all did was ask for an excahnge and i got it in 10 mins with no questions asked! go Apple!

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
VERY TRUE! also Apple gives u a 1 year warranty for free no way u wud get that ATT .. u wud have to "buy it" and if u don't have warranty they will just spit u out the door buy it from Apple ! i took my phone in today because one of the buttons jammed all did was ask for an excahnge and i got it in 10 mins with no questions asked! go Apple!
Wait a minute .... are you saying that the iPhone's people have purchased from an AT&T store do NOT have a 1 year warranty. And people that have purchased iPhone's from AT&T will get "inferior" service if they have a button jammed, etc .... and they take it to an Apple store. HUH? You sure about all this or are you just rah rah rah Apple store?

BIGTIMEBALLER504

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
well im not 100% sure if ATT gives u a free 1 year warranty like Apple does because usually u wud have 2 purchase your Warranty if your buying it from a Carrier like ATT like all the problems ive had when i used to buy phones from a carrier they wud only give me the 14 days and u wud have to buy warranty if something happened 2 your phoen and u didn't have warranty they give u the good ol " sorry we cant do anything about that" but then again maybe im wrong?

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
well im not 100% sure if ATT gives u a free 1 year warranty like Apple does because usually u wud have 2 purchase your Warranty if your buying it from a Carrier like ATT like all the problems ive had when i used to buy phones from a carrier they wud only give me the 14 days and u wud have to buy warranty if something happened 2 your phoen and u didn't have warranty they give u the good ol " sorry we cant do anything about that" but then again maybe im wrong?
I believe you are 100% wrong. It's an Apple product sold by Apple regardless of where you buy it (brand new) .... manufacturers warranty applies.

BIGTIMEBALLER504

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
but i think it would be easier to deal with the Apple people then ATT afterall they did change my phone in 10 mins they gave me a brand new with no questions asked

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
but i think it would be easier to deal with the Apple people then ATT afterall they did change my phone in 10 mins they gave me a brand new with no questions asked
You should get the same service regardless if you bought it at an AT&T store. My point is ..... I simply want to buy it at an AT&T store .. PERIOD. And only because my "local" AT&T store is 45 miles away and my "local" Apple store is 110 miles away.