buy iPhone now at Black Friday or wait till contract ends in April?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
I am currently with Verizon and my contract ends in April 2008. I would love to get an iPhone, but I am contemplating when to get it. Now at Black Friday or in April when my contract ends with Verizon?

Has anyone heard of Black Friday deals for the iPhone by the way?

2 BIG Reasons I want an iPhone:
Convenience of all in one media.
Google Maps - because I easily get lost while driving

The only worry that I have is does the Internet really work everywhere/ I live in Waukesha, WI and it seems that coverage around WI and IL is great for Edge network and this is where I normally drive.

Can anyone help?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I am currently with Verizon and my contract ends in April 2008. I would love to get an iPhone, but I am contemplating when to get it. Now at Black Friday or in April when my contract ends with Verizon?

Has anyone heard of Black Friday deals for the iPhone by the way?

2 BIG Reasons I want an iPhone:
Convenience of all in one media.
Google Maps - because I easily get lost while driving

The only worry that I have is does the Internet really work everywhere/ I live in Waukesha, WI and it seems that coverage around WI and IL is great for Edge network and this is where I normally drive.

Can anyone help?
I'd encourage you to get the iPhone, but then again you are so close to the end of your contract. There won't be any great deals on the iPhone on Black Friday and you'll get banged for $175 from Verizon. You might be better off holding off. I know it's going to be tough, but try and rationalize your decision. You'll save yourself $175 and you'll be able to get an idea of what's coming next. I should caution that "waiting for the next big thing" can become a vicious cycle. My biggest reason for advising you to wait would be the $175.

While you have Google Maps, you don't' have a true GPS in the iPhone. You will be able to get a good deal on a portable GPS on Black Friday. I personally am looking at the Garmin 650. Costco had it for $299, but they sold out in a matter of hours. I found it on FatWallet.

As far as your reasons for wanting the iPhone, it truly does offer great convergence. Phone, email, internet and of course your music.

Best of luck with your decision.

-Chris

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
I'd encourage you to get the iPhone, but then again you are so close to the end of your contract. There won't be any great deals on the iPhone on Black Friday and you'll get banged for $175 from Verizon. You might be better off holding off. I know it's going to be tough, but try and rationalize your decision. You'll save yourself $175 and you'll be able to get an idea of what's coming next. I should caution that "waiting for the next big thing" can become a vicious cycle. My biggest reason for advising you to wait would be the $175.

While you have Google Maps, you don't' have a true GPS in the iPhone. You will be able to get a good deal on a portable GPS on Black Friday. I personally am looking at the Garmin 650. Costco had it for $299, but they sold out in a matter of hours. I found it on FatWallet.

As far as your reasons for wanting the iPhone, it truly does offer great convergence. Phone, email, internet and of course your music.

Best of luck with your decision.

-Chris
thanks! as far as "what's coming next" do you mean the next iPhone 2? Even if a new one comes out I can sell the old one and upgrade I guess, but that might restart the 1 yr commitment. How is the Internet acces on iPhone with Edge by the way? GPS would be nice, but overall I just need to be able to use Google Maps while I am on the road and I just hope Edge covers the areas that I travel to.

Verizon has the Voyager now but it looks more like a text phone vs overall a media phone like the iPhone. It has the 3G network, but I believe Edge covers a lot more areas than Verizon's 3G areas correct?

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
With the way this year has gone by so fast, before you know it, April '08 will be here. And as Chris said, you'll say yourself the $175 which you can apply to the cost of the iPhone instead.

I don't think the price of the iPhone is going to drop for Black Friday. Apple is notorious for keeping their prices fixed. The fact that they drop the cost by $200 was a shocker. I don't think they'll do any more of that; but that's just my opinion.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
With the way this year has gone by so fast, before you know it, April '08 will be here. And as Chris said, you'll say yourself the $175 which you can apply to the cost of the iPhone instead.

I don't think the price of the iPhone is going to drop for Black Friday. Apple is notorious for keeping their prices fixed. The fact that they drop the cost by $200 was a shocker. I don't think they'll do any more of that; but that's just my opinion.
I am checking out the Voyager, but as I stated in my previous post it seems more like a text phone and I wonder how much of the U.S. 3G covers vs. Edge the network.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
thanks! as far as "what's coming next" do you mean the next iPhone 2? Even if a new one comes out I can sell the old one and upgrade I guess, but that might restart the 1 yr commitment. How is the Internet acces on iPhone with Edge by the way? GPS would be nice, but overall I just need to be able to use Google Maps while I am on the road and I just hope Edge covers the areas that I travel to.

Verizon has the Voyager now but it looks more like a text phone vs overall a media phone like the iPhone. It has the 3G network, but I believe Edge covers a lot more areas than Verizon's 3G areas correct?
Honestly, no one knows when Apple will release iPhone 2. Obviously, there will be a follow up, but who knows when. I'd stay away from LG's Voyager. There are many phones being rushed to market in order to compete with the iPhone. The Voyager is the latest and will probably be a disappointment. The Chocolate was LG's last phone and I've heard nothing but horror stories about the UI.

You could get an iPod Touch to satisfy your need for multimedia and then resell that when your contract expires. Use those funds for your iPhone.

Here's a bizarre way of looking at a cost analysis (I need more coffee).

$399 (cost of 16GB iPod Touch)-$175 (savings avoided by not leaving Verizon)= $224

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
makes total sense......Are you using your iPhone on this forum to reply, does it work on this forum if you are on the road, etc...?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
makes total sense......Are you using your iPhone on this forum to reply, does it work on this forum if you are on the road, etc...?
I'm using my PowerMac desktop. This site is iPhone friendly.;) When browsing with the iPhone, you automatically get the an iPhone version of the forum. The iPhone version is actually ad-free and has more pronounced links to make it easier to navigate.

-Chris

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Side Note: Verizon and ATT now pro rate their contracts. Call Verizon to see how much it would cost you to get out...

Just something to think about.