Buy iPhone now or wait

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Okay, should i buy the iPhone 5 or wait till the next one? I realize that this question has been asked hundreds of times before. I also realize that the next iPhone is only speculation in features and release date. I've been able to upgrade from my iPhone 4 since December. My daughter has the iPhone 5 so I know it's capabilities compared to my 4. Frankly, I want the speed. As with most of you, I'm a power user; mostly for work. I'll get at least a 32-gig to match mine. However, I could use more space.

So what should I do?

Target

Sent using iCafe app

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I upgraded from a 4 also and it was night and day difference. How patient are you to wait another possible 3-6 months for the next model?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The iPhone 5S probably won't be available for about six months. I'd get the 5 now. I'd get it now even if it was a 4S, not a 4. Waiting around and using old technology isn't worth it what you save, IMO. You can upgrade every year for less than $100 out of pocket with AT&T partial upgrades by selling your old one. The bigger screen, better camera and faster processor are worth more than $100. AT&T even waives the upgrade fees if you do the chat. It takes three minutes.

Apr 4, 2013
I think you should wait for the next model because beside the longer size, iPhone 5 doesn't have much improvement

AdamDaieh

Bronze
Jan 17, 2013
California
I got the iPhone 5 and it's great. But it really depends on you on how patience you are on waiting. :)

Geo

Bronze
Mar 9, 2008
You want the 5? Right. It will be a big difference from your 4 as mentioned in this thread.
It's a matter of waiting? "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
I think the iPhone 4S stands up to the 5 there isn't that big a difference I think the camera on the 4s is better and unless your not prepared to wait a fraction of a second your apps will still load fast imo wait for the 5s or even the 6, if you do get a ip5 don't go for black unless you plan on a case I think the white is a better option.

Sent using iCafe app

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I think the iPhone 4S stands up to the 5 there isn't that big a difference I think the camera on the 4s is better and unless your not prepared to wait a fraction of a second your apps will still load fast imo wait for the 5s or even the 6, if you do get a ip5 don't go for black unless you plan on a case I think the white is a better option.

Sent using iCafe app
My black iPhone 5 is great. No build quality problems at all.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I didn't sound like he was commenting on build quality. It sounds like he was referring to scratches on the beveled edges. The siver/white model scratches too, but it's more apparent/visible on the black model since it has black coating on top of the silver that can chip off.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I didn't sound like he was commenting on build quality. It sounds like he was referring to scratches on the beveled edges. The siver/white model scratches too, but it's more apparent/visible on the black model since it has black coating on top of the silver that can chip off.
Yes, so far I've been lucky, no scratches and my phone rides naked. I've seen other 5s that look like crap tho

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, so far I've been lucky, no scratches and my phone rides naked. I've seen other 5s that look like crap tho
Yeah, I don't think it's a problem for most people.

Have you kept yours out of a case the whole time? Any drops? I've been seriously considering keeping mine out of a case. I have AppleCare+, so a replacement for a cracked screen would only be $49, but what's stopping me is that I'd lose my jailbreak.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Out of a case 99.9% of the time, no drops, have a slick wrap carbon fiber sticker in the back.