Buy MacBook Pro now or wait....

Aug 8, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a MacBook pro 13" next week and I'm just wondering if I should wait till the end of the year to see if there is a redesign. I am going to be using it for work (I'm a graphic designer) and also for home use.

What are your opinions?

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a MacBook pro 13" next week and I'm just wondering if I should wait till the end of the year to see if there is a redesign. I am going to be using it for work (I'm a graphic designer) and also for home use.

What are your opinions?
My opinion is
Get the base model 15in with antiglare screen. You get a MUCH better resolution which you NEED for graphic design and the screen is going to be way more accurate color wise. What I mean by that is the colors on the screen will match what is printed much more accurately which is very important in graphic design. Also the bigger and better CPU/screen is going to be a major plus.
I'm a graphic designer and I wouldn't even look at a 13in mbp because of the colors as well as the screen size. If anything I would get the air over the 13 pro.
And to answer your question get the mbp now. They just had a big update a few months ago and IF another one happens in the fall it will be a spec bump not a redesign.

Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for the reply. The reason behind getting the 13 is portability but at work it is going to be plugged into a 27 inch monitor. What do you think?

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
a 15 is just as portable as a 13 IMHO
i have had nothing but 15 laptops and find them very portable...
im not big either, just 5'4 and petite.
the processor on the 13 is only a dual core i5 or i7
the processor on the 15 is quad core i7
and the graphics card are much better on the 15+ macs

also upgrade [by yourself...its cheaper] to 8gb memory :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If the 15" is just as portable as the 13" and two inches doesn't make any difference, why not just go with the 17" rather than the 15"? ;)

I prefer the 13".

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Hi guys,

What are your opinions?
there's a redesign each year, either be it the motherboard, processor, or graphics card, but if you're thinking of a redesign that where it transforms into a flying droid, that will only happen in 10 years. if it's for work, i think it's okay to buy now. you can either get a used one (core 2 duo) for a good price, but if you want a new one, that's also good, especially since there should be special deals going on right now. i wouldn't trust lion for work, especially if i was a graphic designer, so try to look for one that has snow leopard on it and if you are feeling up to it, upgrade to lion. $.02

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010
If the 15" is just as portable as the 13" and two inches doesn't make any difference, why not just go with the 17" rather than the 15"? ;)

I prefer the 13".
Yeah but the difference in specs between the 13-15 is much larger then the 15-17. He wants a smaller one so I said go with the 15. :)
If he was going JUST based on size I would say the new MBA but he's also going to be using this for design work and I have had both the dual core i5 and the quad core i7 (both base model 13-15) and can say that the quadcore was noticeably faster in doing adobe tasks and time = $$$

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Yeah but the difference in specs between the 13-15 is much larger then the 15-17. He wants a smaller one so I said go with the 15. :)
If he was going JUST based on size I would say the new MBA but he's also going to be using this for design work and I have had both the dual core i5 and the quad core i7 (both base model 13-15) and can say that the quadcore was noticeably faster in doing adobe tasks and time = $$$

when it comes to graphic design, how much processor power do you need? would an i5 be enough or is the i7 mandatory?

Aug 8, 2010
Well I'm using a mac pro dual 2ghz power pc with 3.5gb of DDR ram. And I've used it for 6 years and it's not that slow so anything would be an improvement.

I've ordered 8gb of ram already so a 13' i5 should be fine I think?

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
Well I'm using a mac pro dual 2ghz power pc with 3.5gb of DDR ram. And I've used it for 6 years and it's not that slow so anything would be an improvement.

wow, good grief. at 6 years old, i think it's time for an upgrade lol, at least if it's your main machine and it's for work.

Babyt

Zealot
Gold
May 24, 2010

It will work and be fine, I was just trying to say that the others would be better.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have CS4 on my 13" 2.4 GHz duo-core and my 2.7 quad-core i5 iMac and I don't notice too much difference between the two with photo editing/graphics. Video editing is another story, though.

Portability is huge thing for me with laptops, but I have a 27" to do most of that stuff on at home. If I didn't have a desktop and I was going to use a laptop exclusively, I probably would go with a 15" or 17".