Buying 3G on Thursday.... "refresh" ?

08fx4

Jan 28, 2009
I am planning on purchasing an iPhone 3g on Thursday through BestBuy. My question is now that BestBuy offers new and "refreshed" iPhones, is there a reason to be concerned about a "refresh" ? According to BestBuy I will actually get a better warranty from BestBuy if I purchase a "refresh". The reason behind this is because there is not an Apple store nearby and if I purchase the "refresh" I get a one year warranty through BestBuy and would only need to bring it into the store if a problem arises.
I could care less that I am the first person to ever touch my phone, I just don't want to save $50 only to regret it later. Your thoughts ?

JLevine

Jan 14, 2009
im new to these forums, but you know the saying

"you get what you pay for"

Fayewolf

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
im new to these forums, but you know the saying

"you get what you pay for"
I respectfully disagree. I have 2 refurbished ipods from Apple and they look and work just like a new one. It has the same one year Apple care warranty.

Now for the iPhone, I don't know if the one year Apple warranty is still avail, but if BB covers it, it is no difference from getting warranty at Apple.

I just purchased one. good luck!

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
You'll be fine, refresh will feel like brand new. They sell like hotcakes in the UK sometimes, if they're cheap of course.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I am planning on purchasing an iPhone 3g on Thursday through BestBuy. My question is now that BestBuy offers new and "refreshed" iPhones, is there a reason to be concerned about a "refresh" ? According to BestBuy I will actually get a better warranty from BestBuy if I purchase a "refresh". The reason behind this is because there is not an Apple store nearby and if I purchase the "refresh" I get a one year warranty through BestBuy and would only need to bring it into the store if a problem arises.
I could care less that I am the first person to ever touch my phone, I just don't want to save $50 only to regret it later. Your thoughts ?
If its just $50 then you may aswell get a new phone. Apparently AT&T said that if you buy a refurb it may have some imperfections.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have been very satisfied with my 2 refurbished 3G iPhones and have had no problems with them other than a slight light leakage problem on my first replacement.

BogeyPro

Oct 24, 2008
if you're going to buy anything refurbished, I would trust Apple with their high standards.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
Since it comes with the full warranty you really don't have too much to risk except having to exchange one if a problem arises and the inconvenience of having to re-sync. I thought about it. I was going to go with a refurb when I bought my iPhone a couple of weeks ago. The problem is that they are only available at select stores and none of the stores in my area carried them at the time. The convenience of going back to Best Buy if a problem arises was tempting. The closest Apple store is over an hour away for me. The closest Best Buy is five minutes. With a new phone you get 14 days with Best Buy's return policy and then back to Apple for a year.

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Let me get this right, you save $50 AND get a 1 year warranty at a place that's easy for you to get to? Sounds like a no brainer to me...

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
A lot of my friends bought refurbished iPhones and they work like a charm. Some of them even have less problems than new iPhones because they had already been taken care of by Apple :p.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'm assuming the refurbs are like the ones in the Apple store, in the small white box. See if the Best Buy representative will let you give it a "test run" beforehand, and double check for scratches, responsive touch screen, etc. If everything looks good w/ the phone, I say just go for the refurb.

08fx4

Jan 28, 2009
I decided to go with the " refresh" . I was able to inspect it for any visual defects and all looked good. So, lets hope for the best ! It seems like I should not expect any issues. Oh yeah, the 3G rocks !