Buying a Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by silvermoon, Feb 6, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I was thinking about going on Craigslist to look for a deal or find one for less than the Apple Store. The one I want with an i7 is about $1500 with an education discount. I'm looking to get one for half that if I can with starting school and all. I was also considering NewEgg or Amazon. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

This strikes me as funny. Sorry. A Mac even 10 years old would't be half that price. Neverless a i7. You're gonna get what you pay for. Even a iPad is half that. :) Good luck though.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I recently picked up a MacBook Pro 'open box' from Best Buy. It was geek squad certified. When I opened it, the plastic had never been cracked. The box was filthy, but the computer itself was brand new. I was able to get it at a significant discount (hundreds off).

I've never thought of NewEgg as a source for Macs. Other stuff, definitely, but not Macs.

Also, plus one on Apple Store refurbs. A good number of machines I've bought in the past were from them.

With Best Buy or Apple, you can extend your warranty.

That reminds me, I think I may add Square Trade to my Mac (if I'm within the window:))

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I always get AppleCare and pray I never need it. That's why I hesitate to buy on Craigslist. There are some reliable forums with thriving marketplaces where you can find a deal. The deal Chris got on his MBP is sweet. Several hundred dollars off is probably the best you can hope for unless you're willing to settle for something "well used" and showing it. Half price just isn't in the cards for a relatively recent model though.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Last night, I was approved for the Apple card with a $2200 credit limit. I'm still thinking I should get the MBA over the MBP. What about i5 or i7? 4GB or 8GB? Since I will be using it for software dev, the 13" over the 11" would give me more space to view code. I also found out on the first day of class, I'll have access to Microsoft DreamWare and VMware. I can remote desktop into in class on to a server that is running virtualization software if I need to from the mac. The factors I'm trying to determine are display size, processor, and memory.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

you'll be just fine with an i5, but I would definitely recommend 13" and 8GB RAM. like you said, 13" is basically necessary for productivity, and as for ram... that's gonna get eaten up quickly if you plan on playing with virtualization. Virtualization notwithstanding, I'd still go with 8GB if only to future proof yourself since you cannot upgrade RAM in Airs. You'll be stuck with what you get now.

I had this exact configuration MacBook Air for ~18 months and loved it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for what you are planning on doing, and the new ones are even faster with better battery life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks for all of the advice. I purchased the 13" MBP.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

sweet, congrats.

10. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Awesome machine! The new Haswell processors give you insanely great battery life. Good move on the max RAM. That's the single biggest thing you can do for overall performance. i5/i7 is relatively minor for the stuff you'll be doing.

I have the 2010 MBA and I use it as Recording Secretary at our lake association meetings to take the meeting minutes. My house is about 600 yards away from our clubhouse, line of sight across the lake. With the new AirPort Extreme router in my house I get strong WiFi signal for my home network all the way across at the clubhouse! God, I love my MBA!