Buying a new MacBook

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I am going to be purchasing a Macbook around Xmas when we go visit family in Albuquerque. Im not sure which one i want to get the 2.0 or 2.4ghz

I will be using it for surfing, email , light photo editing and video editing. and of course syncing out 2 iPhones with

are their any differences between the two other than processor speed , hd capacity and the backlit keyboard? like does the 2.4 come with any software upgrades etc... that the lower model doesn't?

ive never had a mac before or used one much for that matter but after having the iPhones (both versions) i am ready to buy a Macbook. ( as we need another laptop)

My wife has a 17'' Hp with vista and i detest it vista that is.

Also does anyone have any input on the Time capsule? the reviews i read are either 100% in love with it or 100% hate it . Does anyone here have one and if so what is your thoughts on it

I think after that the Macbook and possibly the TC maybe Apple tv will be my next purchase :laugh2::laugh2:

pjw

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
I have a 500G TC and I love it. I am probably in the same boat you are. got an iPhone last year and fell in love, then I bought a MB, then a TC, then the new MB.
I don't think the 2.4 comes with anything the 2.0 don't come with accept the things you mentioned. I think for what you want the 2.0 will be great. I got the 2.4 because I wanted the BL keyboard.
For me the TC is great. I needed a new router and wanted more storage and it seemed like the solution. my MB and PC talk to it with no problem. I can keep files that my wife and I want to share on it and not on both MBs. I have had it for awhile now, and no real troubles at all. Every once in awhile it needs to be rebooted but every router i have ever had needed to be rebooted.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I think I will get the 2.4 also just for the backlit keyboard and larger HD I will have to wait on the TC but I'm thinking that I would really like it. I think most if the reviews I read of people that don't like it are people that don't set it up properly

Plus I gonna try and use my sister in laws discount when I buy it. Can get the 2.4 for $1499

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i've had a lot of problems with my TC. I cannot vouch for it as a viable backup scheme. It works great as a router, though. I would personally recommend getting an Airport extreme, and hooking up an external router to it if you want a networked storage space.

And, believe me, i DID have it set up properly. The most common headache has been Apple software updates either killing Time Capsule backups, or my router settings altogether.

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I got the 2.4 for two reasons,
1. I am planing on keeping this mac book for years want wanted the top of the line mac book (realizing that obviously the MBP is better, but I'm just saying in terms of MBs)

2. My wife really really really really wanted the light up keyboard. I like it too as I'm used to it because my work's notebook is a toughbook and they have light up key boards.

Buying a computer, especially an Apple, is an investment and its not the time to be penny wise and dollar foolish.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Well , i have a 10:30 appt with Apple store at ABQ uptown tomorrow to go buy my new Macbook . I am so excited about getting my new toy :)

also have an appt to return my wifes iPhone to be exchanged, she has been having some major issues with it but i really feel when we start syncing to a Macbook we will have less issues that we do syncing with our Vista machine

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for a Mac newbie? This is my first Mac computer , anything i should purchase with it? .

I am getting the 2.4 with 4gb ram and 250gb hd

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I have the same MacBook. I really enjoy it and it's really simple to use. Just pay attention and don't be in tv aww factor.

meems

Bronze
Dec 3, 2008
ooh, I am a wee bit envious! Have fun with your new Mac!

I never wanted one until I got an iPhone. And now I really really really want one LOL.

eta: I like Vista :eek:

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
ooh, I am a wee bit envious! Have fun with your new Mac!

I never wanted one until I got an iPhone. And now I really really really want one LOL.

eta: I like Vista :eek:

Thats what got me to wanting one too

I HATE Vista :)