Buying a used MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Workoutninja, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Workoutninja

Workoutninja Member
    Bronze

I am looking to buy a used 13" MacBook Pro mainly because I cannot afford a new one. My question is has anyone had issues? Will the Apple store look at it for potential problems if it is still under warranty?

Thanks.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

This should help you. :) I have not needed to buy anything used, but if I did I would be worried about things being wrong with it and needing the warranty still to be included.

"2. Ask if it’s still under warranty
    Some of the worries that a lot of buyers of used Macs have (including me) come down to two questions: “How reliable is this Mac?” and “If the logic board breaks tomorrow, could I buy a replacement?” New Macs come with a one-year factory warranty that guarantees the reliability of all of the Mac’s parts. If anything from the RAM to the display dies within a year, you can get a replacement part for free (although you may have to wait a day or three for your local Apple Genius to order and install the part.)"

http://www.macworld.com/article/1142103/buyused.html

As for your question, Apple should already know what issues it has if you're buying it from them used. They should let you know, and if it's not a big deal than it probably wouldn't need fixed. Are you looking to buy a used Mac from a store that's an authorized Apple reseller?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. I bought mine new, but getting a used one that's a year old is a great way to save money.
    2. Yes. The warranty will transfer over to you and Apple will honor it the same as they would have if you had been the original purchaser. However, the standard warranty is only one year. It can be extended to three years will AppleCare+, which can be purchased anytime within the first year.

4. Workoutninja

Workoutninja Member
    Bronze

Thank you for the replies. The laptop was purchased in February of this year and it looks in great condition. This would be my first Apple computer. Figured I would give it a try especially after seeing what the new operating system will be all to do.

5. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I have a 2012 non retina 13 inch and I absolutely love it. I upgraded to SSD and I absolutely love it. My only issue is that I am maxed out at 8 GB of RAM. I have the i7 version.

I bought it through bestbuy and with reward zone and I can return it at any time even if it's out of warranty.

Jim