Buying an iPhone 3G before old contract expires

Jul 8, 2008
I haven't found an answer anywhere to this question. I recently got a two-year ATT contract with a new cellfone. Now, to get an iPhone 3G on Friday, I've read that I'll have to pay the full $399-$499 price, not the $199-$299 new-contract price. That's a $200 difference. But I wonder whether this alternative is possible: Can I pay ATT its $175 charge to close out my contract, and then get a new one with an iPhone — and keep my cellfone number while I'm doing it?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I haven't found an answer anywhere to this question. I recently got a two-year ATT contract with a new cellfone. Now, to get an iPhone 3G on Friday, I've read that I'll have to pay the full $399-$499 price, not the $199-$299 new-contract price. That's a $200 difference. But I wonder whether this alternative is possible: Can I pay ATT its $175 charge to close out my contract, and then get a new one with an iPhone — and keep my cellfone number while I'm doing it?
That is correct. In the end, it's a matter of economics: upgrade at full retail price, or incur the ETF.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i think you can but not all in one day, if you closed your account there would be a waiting period before you could open another account, i don't know how long it would be tho

Jul 8, 2008
That is correct. In the end, it's a matter of economics: upgrade at full retail price, or incur the ETF.
Thanks. I wasn't sure about keeping my fone number when I close my old contract.

Jul 8, 2008
Now I'm not sure. I guess I'll find out on Friday...