Buying an iPhone 3G

rl360

Aug 9, 2008
hey guys, im new and im planning on buying a new iPhone 3g and unlocking it, but i have a question. im using t-mobile, so is it possible to buy an iPhone 3g for $199 with the 2 year contract plan, and then cancel the plan after? i wanna save money, but im not sure if it's possible to do this. please move or close this thread if it's not appropriate. thanks guys and i hope i can get my question answered. :D

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
no if you cancel your plan before 30 days you have to give the phone back, and canceling anytime after that you have to pay a massive cancellation fee so its really not saving you any money at all

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
you do understand you cannot use 3G on T-Mobile, right? you will be limit`ed to EDGE speeds.

rl360

Aug 9, 2008
no if you cancel your plan before 30 days you have to give the phone back, and canceling anytime after that you have to pay a massive cancellation fee so its really not saving you any money at all
ohhh, i didn't know that. ok thanks. and i know t-mobile only has EDGE, but their getting 3G in October. some places even have 3g speeds for t-mobile like las vegas.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
As least as of now, the 3G T-Mobile uses has different frequencies than AT&T so the iPhone does not work on any other 3G network in the USA.

rl360

Aug 9, 2008
well, i don't care too much about having 3g or not, although that's probably the main difference between the 1st iPhone and the 2nd. so, pretty much, if i want to get an iPhone 3g unlocked, i would have to get to get the $599 one from ebay or online?

Oct 2, 2008
Hey, I'm purchasing a 16gb iPhone 3g locally and it is new, has not been used, activated, etc....my contract with my current carrier is going to be up soon, and i want to purchase this iPhone now and sign up for AT&T when my uscellular contract is up....so i have a few questions...

1. if i buy this phone, which hasn't been activated, etc....what will i have to do to be able to use it in the time being as an ipod, just use all of the features aside from the phone.....?

2. will AT&T be fine if i walk in to the store with this iPhone after ive been using it as an ipod, and i want service for it? thanks in advance for the probably pretty common info....i did do some searching, but everything i found for the first question was saying stuff about the phone being activated, etc, and i don't really know what the deal is for a brand new phone....

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
1. Just jailbreak it and you can use it as an iPod.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881 (Windows)

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1558 (Mac)

2. I'm sure it won't be a problem as long as the imei isn't blacklisted (stolen). You may even be able to do the whole activation process on iTunes (I'm not sure, though).

***EDIT**** make sure you restore it before you take it to the ATT store. You don't want them seeing you with a jailbroken phone as it could void the warranty.

Oct 2, 2008
ok thanks, i was planning on jailbreaking it anyway......i have an 8gb touch thats jailbroken, which im selling to get most of the finds for the 3G.....i had just heard people speaking of activation, and wanted to make sure that it was something thati could do without being in the store.....i didn't want to sell my touch, get home with the 3G, turn it on, and be stuck at the welcome screen until december...........