Buying an iPhone now and one later... Questions

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
I plan to buy an iPhone next Thursday or Friday, regardless of what news comes from the Apple deal.

Here is my question: If I buy a new iPhone now, and then they release a newer model this summer, can I buy the new model, just install my sim card in it and it will work? I would like to keep my number, but give the older moel to the wifey. she is fine with that.

Thanks.

Jon

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I really don't know but I bet not. You are probably going to have to get a new 2 year deal and would need a new sim card to activate the phone. You can still keep your number though. Even if this would work, where would you get a sim card for the old phone?

MNJON

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Minnesota
I really don't know but I bet not. You are probably going to have to get a new 2 year deal and would need a new sim card to activate the phone. You can still keep your number though. Even if this would work, where would you get a sim card for the old phone?
Well, what I REALLY would want to do is go ahead and buy the new model and give mine to the wife, but keep my number for my new phone, and activate her number on my old phone. So really we'd be adding a second iPhone and service, but I want my old number.... get what I am hoping to do?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Put that way I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I think the sim cards need to stay in the original phones. You would just port your number to the new phone and she would port hers to the old one. I still have a feeling it will require a new 2 year agreement, but that is probably not a problem.

Addition: Your old phone would probably have to be done at AT&T since it would have your number on it. I would think after you activate the new one through iTunes, you could go to AT&T and they could port her number to the old phone.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
it all depends on steve's train of thought while he's making it.

if his train of thought is back in 2003 like it was wen he made the first one then you will need a brand new sim card!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Well, what I REALLY would want to do is go ahead and buy the new model and give mine to the wife, but keep my number for my new phone, and activate her number on my old phone. So really we'd be adding a second iPhone and service, but I want my old number.... get what I am hoping to do?
I am thinking about getting the new iPhone when it comes out and give my current iPhone to my husband. I will transfer my number to the new iPhone and his number to my old iPhone. I do not know about needing a new SIM, but I figure ATT or Apple will get me new SIM card, if needed. So, activate the new iPhone with your old number, then transfer your wifes number to your old iPhone. I think the old iPhone will be the one to need a new SIM, but I may be wrong.

I am sure ATT or Apple will be able to tell us if we need new SIM cards for the old iPhone. When my husband lost his sync and needed to use my old Pearl, it needed a new SIM, so that is my reasoning.

Sorry this kind of rambles-I am getting tired.