Buying an iPhone on eBay, safe?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
If you feel comfortable buying on ebay I say go for it. It appeared at a glance that the average savings was about 15-20 dollars after shipping. Just make sure it is unopened, new in box. But, me personally, would spend the extra 20 bucks to be able to return it to the place of purchase, to get a new one if something was messed up.

Aug 8, 2007
If you feel comfortable buying on ebay I say go for it. It appeared at a glance that the average savings was about 15-20 dollars after shipping. Just make sure it is unopened, new in box. But, me personally, would spend the extra 20 bucks to be able to return it to the place of purchase, to get a new one if something was messed up.
Some of them are around 400 dollars. Isn't the retail price 541 including tax?

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
yes but you need to factor in the shipping from ebay to you. not to mention factor in that the phone might not come with a receipt and might be warrantied.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Would like to know too.
I read somewhere on this forum about a guy that had trouble with an ebay phone because it was registered at original purchase to someone completely different. He tried new sim cards from att and was still having trouble. I hope he got it running but it just seems to me that you should just buy one from Apple or better yet att. I returned mine twice before I got my perfect dream phone. Good luck

Aug 8, 2007
I read somewhere on this forum about a guy that had trouble with an ebay phone because it was registered at original purchase to someone completely different. He tried new sim cards from att and was still having trouble. I hope he got it running but it just seems to me that you should just buy one from Apple or better yet att. I returned mine twice before I got my perfect dream phone. Good luck
So is 499 the cheapest price i'll pay for a legit iPhone?

Crash Override

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
I bought my iPhone on eBay

i bought a sealed, new in box 8 gig iPhone on eBay, shipped to me overnight for $590.00. I don't know if it was one the guy got for free or why he could afford to sell it below retail, but it saved me about $60.00. I'll have to admit, it was pretty painful waiting to get it in the mail after I had decided to take the plunge. there's an Apple store about a mile from where i work, and I could have just picked one up the day I went in to play with one before bidding on eBay. The guy communicated with me really well, and had a very high feedback rating, so i felt pretty safe. i also used Paypal to pay for it, so I knew I wouldn't get scammed.

Aug 8, 2007
i bought a sealed, new in box 8 gig iPhone on eBay, shipped to me overnight for $590.00. I don't know if it was one the guy got for free or why he could afford to sell it below retail, but it saved me about $60.00. I'll have to admit, it was pretty painful waiting to get it in the mail after I had decided to take the plunge. there's an Apple store about a mile from where i work, and I could have just picked one up the day I went in to play with one before bidding on eBay. The guy communicated with me really well, and had a very high feedback rating, so i felt pretty safe. i also used Paypal to pay for it, so I knew I wouldn't get scammed.
is your phone fine?

The Toddfather

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
ponda baba said:
You could buy an iPhone off of ebay or you could do what my friend just did and win one for free. It only took him two weeks and he only had to sign up for one simple offer that he cancelled after he got his iPhone. Since it worked for him, i'm doing it now. Just click the link in my sig to get started.

Current Referrals obtained/Needed: 2/12
S P A M

asteve76

Nov 21, 2010
Whatever you decide, be careful.
I've just been scammed out of £80 after buying AppleTV.
Despite a positive feedback rating of about 1500, the seller took my money and cancelled his/her ebay account. Luckily for me, eBay refunded my money.
Even though the seller appeared to be based in the UK, like myself, after doing a bit of detective work, I now believe he/she maybe based in Malaysia.

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston
Craigslist seems safer, I don't really care for eBay and you never know what you going to get! I like to see before I hand over that type of money

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
I buy allot of iPhones off eBay , some sellers can be dishonest some are genuine . But with eBay and paypal you are well backed up! Paypal loves the buyers and will always back you if something goes wrong.

Oct 5, 2010
Ireland,UK
Craigslist seems safer, I don't really care for eBay and you never know what you going to get! I like to see before I hand over that type of money
What backup have you with craigslist , it is by no means safer . If you get conned where's the backup they could just throw away there sim and youde never see them again.

norik55

Jan 27, 2011
I've bought all my iPhones from eBay over last 3 years and no problems at all. Always read the sellers feedback and maybe contact them for more info. Genuine sellers are happy to send more details.
Update: just bought another one from eBay. 2G 8gb absolutely mint condition £100...