Buying an old iPhone

xbm123

Jun 19, 2008
How hard is to buy/find the current iPhone? Also, what are the cons to buying an "unlocked" iPhone, and would i still be able to hook up the "unlocked" iPhone to an ATT family plan?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Its not really that hard. Just search on eBay or craigslist or something.
And unlocked just means you can use it with a different carrier.
And yes you can hook up an unlocked one to an AT&T family plan.

xbm123

Jun 19, 2008
Its not really that hard. Just search on eBay or craigslist or something.
And unlocked just means you can use it with a different carrier.
And yes you can hook up an unlocked one to an AT&T family plan.
would i still be able to get the updates from Apple and what not?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
would i still be able to get the updates from Apple and what not?
No. Once you get it, and if it is unlocked, you can restore it through iTunes, and then it will be able to get updates and stuff, but it will only work with AT&T, which doesn't seem to be a problem since you asked if you can add it to an AT&T plan.

xbm123

Jun 19, 2008
No. Once you get it, and if it is unlocked, you can restore it through iTunes, and then it will be able to get updates and stuff, but it will only work with AT&T, which doesn't seem to be a problem since you asked if you can add it to an AT&T plan.
Just for future reference, is the restoration process easy?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
V1 iPhones are still available from Apple and AT&T until July 11th.

- john

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
V1 iPhones are still available from Apple and AT&T until July 11th.

- john
if your gonna use AT & T don't buy it unlocked because your gonna end up paying more for an unlocked one then one thats not so theres no point.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Just for future reference, is the restoration process easy?
You can restore a phone through iTunes. I would go ahead and do this if you are going with ATT anyway. This way you can have the firmware update coming up soon and the app store.

xbm123

Jun 19, 2008
I am just trying to figure out what would be the better choice. 35 dollars a month is pretty steep. I live and go to school in major cities so coverage and getting Wi-Fi isn't difficult. I could care less about GPS, but i'm not sure if an extra 160 over 2 years is worth it for faster internet. What are your guys suggestions?