Buying new iPhone, going to unlock. Is it still safe?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Glenfiddik

Oct 4, 2007
just want to make sure that i am going to be ok, that im not going to have a brick for a phone.... Is there any suggested sites, applications and methods i should know? Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to help.... I hope i get a reply before i unlock lol......

GLENFIDDIK;)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would first make sure you are NOT running on firmware 1.1.1 because then you will NOT be able to unlock. If you are running on 1.0.2 then you can readily unlock and it's not that difficult of a process.

Glenfiddik

Oct 4, 2007
ok

So, how do i find that out? am i going to be promted? i wish i knew.. i hate asking stupid questions when im pretty good with this stuff.....

thanks...

Glenfiddik

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
So, how do i find that out? am i going to be promted? i wish i knew.. i hate asking stupid questions when im pretty good with this stuff.....

thanks...

Glenfiddik
Ok here is the easiest way to tell what firmware you have on an un-activated phone is the following:
Go to the emergency call, dial *3001#12345#* and then push "Call". Depending on what you see next is what firmware is currently on your phone.

03.12.06_G Is firmware 1.0.0
03.14.08_G Is firmware 1.0.1 and 1.02
04.01.13_G Is 1.1.1

If you have established that you are on firmware 1.0.0, 1.0.1, or 1.02 and NOT 1.1.1 then you can proceed with unlocking and other goodies. Here is the site I used to first Jailbreak my iPhone and iBrickr is an AMAZING application.
http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr
I really followed the videos step-by-step directions and had iBrickr up and running in a matter of minutes.

Glenfiddik

Oct 4, 2007
wicked

cant thank you enough.... thats wicked....
last stupid question...

where do you get all the cool apps to upload, i want this thing pimped out like my car.

glen

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
cant thank you enough.... thats wicked....
last stupid question...

where do you get all the cool apps to upload, i want this thing pimped out like my car.

glen

Haha, all of the applications show up in the iBrickr directory. You literally just click on the application you want (say Apollo IM or Mobile Chat) and a few seconds later it's placed right onto your iPhone. You can also delete any applications you don't want the exact same way. :laugh2:

Glenfiddik

Oct 4, 2007
Damn

this is so sweet, i almost want to go to bed now so i can wake up earlier to go get it.... i feel like a kid on christmas eve.

Its pretty sweet that there is a community like this that everyone can network with, i had the same thing with the moto q ... same page www.everythingq.com....

Thanks a lot eh, its appreciated more then you know.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
this is so sweet, i almost want to go to bed now so i can wake up earlier to go get it.... i feel like a kid on christmas eve.

Its pretty sweet that there is a community like this that everyone can network with, i had the same thing with the moto q ... same page www.everythingq.com....

Thanks a lot eh, its appreciated more then you know.
Anytime, really. It's always good to have someone there to answer your questions and don't worry, we've all been in your shoes at one point or another :laugh2:.

Glenfiddik

Oct 4, 2007
just curious

does it play any video file? or do i have to do anything to it? is it easy to upload anything to it? im not sure if there is a process to upload my music,files,pics, and vids....

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
does it play any video file? or do i have to do anything to it? is it easy to upload anything to it? im not sure if there is a process to upload my music,files,pics, and vids....
Well you're going to have to use iTunes in order to upload songs or videos or contact information to the iPhone. You can easily import your entire music library right into iTunes and then synch with the iPhone and BAM your songs and such are right on the phone. Video however is a bit different because it requires a different type of file. For instance, you can't just put a DVD into your comp and put it straight into iTunes. There are software downloads to convert the DVD files to iPhone compatible ones.

Glenfiddik

Oct 4, 2007
and is there walkthroughs for this? i feel so freaking green right now. sorry, i hate being a noob.... watch, a week from now ill be posting pimp wallpapers and doing what your doin, helping the noob.LOL

G

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
and is there walkthroughs for this? i feel so freaking green right now. sorry, i hate being a noob.... watch, a week from now ill be posting pimp wallpapers and doing what your doin, helping the noob.LOL

G

I would suggest going to the Apple site or iTunes.com and reading up on iTunes there because they can cover any question that you could possibly have. I'm pretty sure they have tutorial videos and everything as well. But in order to put custome wallpapers and carrier logos on your iPhone you just use iBrickr, there's a tab to add and edit files right on the program.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
i thought your contacts and ish where done through outlook? i guess im wrong?
Your outlooks can be stored in MS Outlook but in order to get them onto the iPhone you need to synch your phone through iTunes and on the "Info" tab you choose where to synch your address and contact list from and just hit synch.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
you my friend are a saint...lol..... not sure if you have msn but itd be cool to have a guru on my side... glensq@hotmail.com

Haha, thank you thank you. Most of what I know I learned from other extremely helpful iPhoners so I'm always glad to lend a helping hand. I've got AOL and AIM, the screename is youngbinks but I've also got MSN, youngbinks is also the screename there :laugh2:.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
is there any way to find out what firmware the phone is without opening the box and pushing *3001#12345#*?
If the iPhone package has a picture of an iPhone with an itune icon, I guess that's a dead giveaway. itune came with the 1.1.1 update.