Buying the iPhone as a secondary cellphone?

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
I currently am with verizon and have the blackberry tour which i love, but i do miss the original iPhone i had back when it first came out. Im wondering how many of you use two cellphones and for what use and is it worth getting an iPhone 3gs and using it as an ipod and a secondary cellphone?

isal

Bronze
Mar 22, 2009
Toronto
If you tied up with in a contract, I think you should just get a iPod Touch. I really don't see a point getting an iPhone as a secondary phone when you already have a Blackberry.

If you do decide to get a iPod Touch, you might want to wait until the second week of September, there is a very strong rumor that Apple might update their iPod line.

Good luck!

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
I got an iPhone 3G 16GB as a secondary phone...that lasted a week.

My wife now has the 3G 16GB iPhone and I have a 36GB iPhone 3GS as my PRIMARY phone. My Blackberry Bold is now my secondary phone.

Jim

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
It's a real good bet that the iPod lineup is getting refreshed. The pattern seems to be that they run a promotion of a free iPod with a Mac purchase over the summer, with a refresh right afterwards.

The current promo runs out in early September, and the expectation is that the pattern will continue...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have three cellphones and no home phone. I have 3GS that that's stock, fast, and reliable. I have a 3G that jailbroken and unlocked with T-Mobile (prepaid acct- no monthly fee or data), so I can get my fix with customization and JB apps as well as have a phone that's ready to go for use with Prepaid SIM's all around the would for future traveling. I have a so far indestructible flip phone with Sprint, and only use it when I'm rollerblading etc so I don't have to risk breaking an iPhone. I forward my calls to the other (could also use GV) when not using the primary line. I'm only paying $105 after taxes for all three with my work discounts with Sprint and AT&T, so it's not like I'm wasting a lot of money to have three.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
Yeah i think i might just do that and buy a 3gs. I can always forward my calls to one phone right even though the providers are different? Also i bought a Ipod Classic like 2 weeks ago i opened it and used it like twice can i still exchange it i know il loose like $25 or something like that but will they take it back for sure?

energie

Sep 13, 2008
I was swapping with a Bold for awhile but it started getting annoying. It's only worth it if you have another line otherwise you'll get tired of swapping sims... fast. I'm not a big fan of the iPhone as an actual phone but it won hands down against the Bold - which is now being used as a paperweight along witha bunch of others.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I got an iPhone 3G 16GB as a secondary phone...that lasted a week.

My wife now has the 3G 16GB iPhone and I have a 36GB iPhone 3GS as my PRIMARY phone. My Blackberry Bold is now my secondary phone.

Jim
Thats cool man how did you get the 36GB I thought those were for people like Steve Jobs and his executives only. Your the coolest man, whats the price tag on one of those ?

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I have a Sprint Treo but I wanted the iPhone before my contract was up so now I have 2 lines. I forwarded my Sprint number to iPhone. Just be aware there is a charge for each forwarded call. 20 cents per call in my case but very few calls came through on Sprint as most people had my new iPhone number as it was primary phone. I actually have 2 Sprint lines which is still far cheaper than my one AT&T account. Darn shame. Since I kept my 3G as backup phone I will discontinue both Sprint lines in next couple of months.

damstr

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If you tied up with in a contract, I think you should just get a iPod Touch. I really don't see a point getting an iPhone as a secondary phone when you already have a Blackberry.

If you do decide to get a iPod Touch, you might want to wait until the second week of September, there is a very strong rumor that Apple might update their iPod line.

Good luck!
Thats what I did when I was on Verizon and was craving the iPhone again. The iPod Touch only sufficed for like 3 months though then I broke down and picked up a 3GS. lol

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have a Sprint Treo but I wanted the iPhone before my contract was up so now I have 2 lines. I forwarded my Sprint number to iPhone. Just be aware there is a charge for each forwarded call. 20 cents per call in my case but very few calls came through on Sprint as most people had my new iPhone number as it was primary phone. I actually have 2 Sprint lines which is still far cheaper than my one AT&T account. Darn shame. Since I kept my 3G as backup phone I will discontinue both Sprint lines in next couple of months.
Is that call forwarding charge just on Sprints end or does AT&T also do that? I forward calls from AT&T to T-Mobile sometimes but haven't noticed any extra charges from AT&T.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Is that call forwarding charge just on Sprints end or does AT&T also do that? I forward calls from AT&T to T-Mobile sometimes but haven't noticed any extra charges from AT&T.
It was from the Sprint side only. I didn't even read my Sprint bill for a few months since I wasn't using the lines. Was surprised to see the charge. Thank goodness it was only about 5 times each month of forwarded calls. I have never tried forwarding my AT&T number but you may want to check your bill. The amount may be so small as not to notice a few extra bucks.