Buying unloked iPhone. What should I look at?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spatznick

Sep 19, 2007
I am byying an unloked iPhone. What should I look at, as I am meeting th seller in a few hours?

I am thinking to verify:
- Insert a tmobile SIM and see if it works
- test the wifi and youtube
- iTunes, I will try to transfer some files both ways.

If the above work, that else shoud I look at? Should I ask what unlock method he was using? Would anything else make a difference and make me not buy it?

Also, what would be a real price to buy? It sells for 399 plus tax, how much should I pay for the unlocked version?

Thanks in advance.

sselemit

Sep 15, 2007
I am byying an unloked iPhone. What should I look at, as I am meeting th seller in a few hours?

I am thinking to verify:
- Insert a tmobile SIM and see if it works
- test the wifi and youtube
- iTunes, I will try to transfer some files both ways.

If the above work, that else shoud I look at? Should I ask what unlock method he was using? Would anything else make a difference and make me not buy it?

Also, what would be a real price to buy? It sells for 399 plus tax, how much should I pay for the unlocked version?

Thanks in advance.
Unlocked iPhone cannot use youtube.

For me, buy the refurbished phone and unlock it yourself.:laugh2: At least, thats what i did and it costs me $335 with tax in total. Pretty sweet.

spatznick

Sep 19, 2007

For me, buy the refurbished phone and unlock it yourself.:laugh2: At least, thats what i did and it costs me $335 with tax in total. Pretty sweet.
Well, the seller promised that everything works. I will try the phone anyway before purchase.
Where did you get it from for this low price? I assume it is the 4gb version for $335...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
YouTube doesn't work on an unlocked iPhone? Are you SURE? And by unlocked, I mean that you can put in your T-Mobile SIM card and make a phone call on T-Mobile's network, not that you have an expensive internet iPod without phone functions. And what if you use your unlocked iPhone on AT&T's network? It's still unlocked. Maybe youtube not working isn't that the phone is unlocked, but that AT&T is the only service provider that is making that feature work.

I plan on unlocking my iPhone when I can, but I'm not changing networks. I just want to know that I have the freedom to leave.

Well, the seller promised that everything works. I will try the phone anyway before purchase.
I do know that visual voicemail won't work if you use your iPhone on a different network like T-Mobile, so make sure you try that out.

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Personally...quit being cheap. It's not worth the potential hassles to buy a non warenteed phone to save $100.

If you have to stay on t-mobile....go through them with what equipment they offer.

If that deosnt matter, look into a refurb phone. But i would stay far away from a hacked phone.

spatznick

Sep 19, 2007
Personally...quit being cheap. It's not worth the potential hassles to buy a non warenteed phone to save $100.

If you have to stay on t-mobile....go through them with what equipment they offer.

If that deosnt matter, look into a refurb phone. But i would stay far away from a hacked phone.

A refurb phone still needs to be hacked, right? Very unlikely that the refurbed phone is unloked anyway.

sselemit

Sep 15, 2007
A refurb phone still needs to be hacked, right? Very unlikely that the refurbed phone is unloked anyway.
Ya, did not you know that a lot of people sell refurb iPhone as new on ebay for ($500 unlocked). You wont believe the number. So, it is safe just to go buy a refurb and unlock it.
Well, the seller promised that everything works. I will try the phone anyway before purchase. Where did you get it from for this low price? I assume it is the 4gb version for $335...
Believe it or not, it is 8gb. The refurb costs $350 + $30 off for first time buying at Apple store on order over $300 + free shipping + tax = $335

For the youtube part, you guys are right. It is indeed functional with unlock iPhone. I have not updated info lately.

eliteshot

Sep 20, 2007
youtube works just fine on an unlocked phone. I have an unlocked iPhone myself with t-mobile and everything works except for visual voicemail.

All you gotta do is look up youtube unlock over google and voila.

spatznick

Sep 19, 2007
youtube works just fine on an unlocked phone. I have an unlocked iPhone myself with t-mobile and everything works except for visual voicemail.
Thanks for all suggestions.
Since so many of you have bought the iPhone and unlocked it themselves, I will do the same thing. I have already ordered the a refurbished one, should arrive tomorrow.

Now what is the most reliable method? The one posted by Engedget at:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/12/first-free-open-gui-iphone-unlock-software-tested-it-works/ ?

Thanks!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I don't think unlocking your iPhone voids the warranty. We have a legal right to unlock our phones. As long as you don't open the case up, I don't think it should void the warranty. And besides, current unlocking is temporary. Just relock it if you need service.