Bye Bye iPhone

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well today i did it, i sold my first gen iPhone for 300 dollars :(. I had bought it originally for 350 because it was a refurbished 8 gig. Lets see what the month of july brings me. Do you think i should have sold the phone for more? What are your plans?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, you made out well. Just don't change your plan with AT&T AT ALL or you might lose eligibility to upgrade for $200, depending on your account status before buying the iPhone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I am going to keep mine if and when I upgrade. But you came out pretty well. As was stated,keep your current iPhone plan so you will be able to get the new one at the good price.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well I guess i made the mistake, i just got off the phone with the ATT rep and canceled the plan, but i will still get billed for it until July 14th. I highly doubt they will do somthing stupid like that. I have had an iPhone plan for about a year, there is proof that i was a user.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well I guess i made the mistake, i just got off the phone with the ATT rep and canceled the plan, but i will still get billed for it until July 14th. I highly doubt they will do somthing stupid like that. I have had an iPhone plan for about a year, there is proof that i was a user.
My guess is that you will be OK. You technically have the phone through the 14th. By that I mean you are still on the plan. That should do it. But this is just me talking so take it for just that.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Man, I wouldn't mess with that! Call them right back and reinstate the plan pronto.... we don't know for sure what the deal is, but it's best to play it safe, right?

They will gladly reinstate it right away, no doubt. Do it! The risk, in my opinion, is not worth the money you will save from now till then.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That plan will be prorated back to the day of deletion. You might be disappointed come 7/11.

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
That plan will be prorated back to the day of deletion. You might be disappointed come 7/11.
I think everyone is over reacting over this. AT&T can simply look at your account & see that you had an iPhone. They want too keep all their customers they have. I lost my iPhone a month ago & also cancelled my iPhone plan. ( back then, no one knew when the new iPhone would come out.). Im sure that I will get the new 3g iPhone at the discounted price. Besides, I will be waving my $100 rebate I still have at them when I go into the Apple store to buy my new phone. If you can show you have/had an iPhone earlier, im sure AT&T is going to make it right for you

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well the Rep i spoke to said that i would be able to get the phone at the subsidized price. I think everyone is just over reacting. And if ATT and Apple plan to act like this, i would rather take my money elsewhere. There are TONS of iPhone copys out there.:p

wendycharles

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
There are a lot of copies but don't you want the real thing?
I'm keeping my v1 but upgrading on 7/11.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm doing the same. It goes in my collection of Apple stuff.

- John

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I was joking around.
But if ATT will treat the iPhone like any other phone, than i will demand ATT to handle my repairs and replacemnts, i am also going to demand them to offer the phone warranty if it every gets lost or stolen that they offer with their phones, well this is only if they cause any problems on july 11.

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Good move.

The only people who are going to have problems getting the iPhone at the 199 price are ATT customers who received a phone at a subsidized price and have owned it less than 18 months.

Props to ATT for trying what they did with the first gen iPhone, but I believe ultimately that plan failed. Given the choice of pay now or pay later, Americans will ALWAYS pay later, even if it ends up being a bit more.

The only thing that kind of sucks now, is people who get the new iPhone at subsidized $199 will be obligated to keep it for 18 months. So if a new iPhone comes out next July, you will likely have to wait until after next December to get it at a subsidized price.

-Jeff

Well today i did it, i sold my first gen iPhone for 300 dollars :(. I had bought it originally for 350 because it was a refurbished 8 gig. Lets see what the month of july brings me. Do you think i should have sold the phone for more? What are your plans?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
All that matters is whether or not you feel good about what you got. Congratulations.

My plans are to pass my first gen iPhone down to my son.