Cable TV / Internet provider .......

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I get to choose a new provider and wanted to get some input.
I am leaning towards comcast XFINITY I really hoped for AT&T Uverse but not availble there.
So it is comcast or verizion fios . Any input would be cool.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Directv for the tv and Comcast for the Internet. You get more for your buck with directv and Comcast Internet Is fast but it would run you an extra 10$ a month for not getting the bundle package. You would still save money and get the best of both worlds.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I get to choose a new provider and wanted to get some input.
I am leaning towards comcast XFINITY I really hoped for AT&T Uverse but not availble there.
So it is comcast or verizion fios . Any input would be cool.
I just switched cable/internet providers a few months ago. I had something something similar to Comcast. I now use Verizon FIOS and it is outstanding! Picture clarity blows regular cable away. Internet speeds are very fast and consistent. In my neighborhood you don't 'share' the connection with everyone, like most non fiber companies. There is a max of 4 lines in one 'hub'.
The one thing I don't like, a minor annoyance, is that you must dial the area code for local calls... Even someone next door. Takes a bit of getting used too. But my vote goes to FIOS.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
I too have fios and am happy. Only problem I've had is some difficulty with on demand movies but I pretty much use Netflix with my Apple tv now anyway.. Kids want to switch but the grass is always greener. These providers (like wireless providers) need to figure out how to treat existing customers as well as they do potential new ones.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
DirecTV
Dunno how much you watch, but they have a new HD DVR/receiver that had 5 built in tuners and a 1TB hard drive. Pair this up with their whole home service, and your main box Is the server for your other sets. Watch/record anything from the main unit anywhere in the house.
Using the DirecTV app, you can program your receiver away from home and use your iDevice as a remote.
Fantastic 1080p high def picture, this box also supports their 3D programming.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/technology/hmc_receiver

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have Comcast/Xfinity because it's the only wired broadband available in my area other than very slow DSL. The lack of Fios rollout here annoys me to no end... I'm within 10 miles of center city Philadelphia for heaven's sake! Lame.

So I've done everything I can to mitigate my payments to Comcast. Years ago I bought a used TiVo with lifetime subscription which has since paid for itself plus some since I've returned the Comcast DVR and forgone the $18/mo fee to use it. I also distribute it throughout my house via an HDMI splitter, saving additional converter rental fees. I also bought my own modem to save that rental fee. This combined with regular haggling to get "promo" pricing deals, and I'm fairly happy with my level of service for what I'm paying in a major metropolitan area. My internet is consistently fast and never drops me, and my HDTV choices are plentiful and it all works well with my TiVo.