.caf files, why can't i get them to work for SMS!

Mar 28, 2009
Ok I have literally spent waaaay too much time on this and it is not working right. I have managed to get one sound file to work that i have converted from .m4a to .caf all the rest of the audio files just will not play when i have them selected. at first i thought there might be a size limitation so I even cut down a sound to 3 seconds and still nothing. currently the one that works is 255KB. all the rest have been less even one i tried around 58KB. Don't know what the deal is. I can change back and forth to the regular tones to just the one i managed to get to work. Very strange..... Any ideas? Oh and even ssh'ing these in QuickSMS custom tones all i can get is the same blasted tone to work. what's up with that?

Mar 28, 2009
ok so i think i have this figured out. I wasn't exporting the file from audacity rather than trying to save it as a .caf or wave extension. Product of too many hours at work and lack of sleep causes stupid simple mistakes...

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Here's what I do and it works 100% of the time.

1. do whatever file editing I need to do in Audacity and export as mp3.
2. use a free program called "Switch" to change the .mp3 file to a .aiff file.
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
3. manually change the file extension from .aiff to .caf

This way hasn't failed me yet.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Here's what I do and it works 100% of the time.

1. do whatever file editing I need to do in Audacity and export as mp3.
2. use a free program called "Switch" to change the .mp3 file to a .aiff file.
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
3. manually change the file extension from .aiff to .caf

This way hasn't failed me yet.

Or if the program you're already using is capable of converting the file you want to .aiff. Then just rename that aiff file to .caf and you should be good to go. That's how i've been doing it as well. Works every time.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Cliffeman...are you using an Audacity-like program that can convert directly to .aiff?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
do any of you have any good sms ring tones that i can have? i really don't feel like making my own right now.... thanks.. :)