Calendar alerts/alarms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lumax, Aug 31, 2009.

1. lumax

lumax New Member

Hi,

I am new to the iPhone (3-g) and I have to say that the calendar function could be better. On my old phone I would get a loud alarm at the time of an event and the alarm would sound for 1 minute. With the iPhone you get 2 short chirps that can be drowned out by a pin drop. I have done some research on this topic and it appears that Apple might be working on this issue by either improving the alerts or by allowing application creators to the operating codes so that the apps. can also have better alarms.
    Does anyone know when Apple might be improving on the calendar alarms or releasing the codes for app creators?
    Are there any apps that have better calendar alarms? I have Pocket Informant.

thanks

2. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Did you try some different alarm sounds? I've got a calendar alarm that is stock and makes people turn their head when it goes off. I'll post back in a minute with which one it is.

3. lionqueen

lionqueen Member
    Bronze

I'm not really thrilled with the Calendar either. On my old phone I could set as many alerts as I wanted, and could set it for any day or time, like tuesday at 3:31 pm, five weeks from now. It's one of the few things I miss about my old phone (that and being able to use custom tones for my SMS tones, instead of pick one of five or so that Apple things I should use).

There's a few things I dislike about the iPhone, definitely. Luckily, the good stuff about it does make up for the bad. I do hope they improve the Calendar app though - honestly I find it a bit half-assed.

4. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

I don't like the fact that I cannot snooze a calendar appointment reminder. That really blows. Windows Mobile has this--does Android or the Pre have this feature?

I know I can set two alerts for one appointment, but that's not the same as snoozing.

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I've found that I prefer the options I have Google calendar and miss the auto profile switching I had with my Q9h, i.e. the phone would switch to vibrate for appointments tagged as "busy".

6. lumax

lumax New Member

Terry,

The only calendar alert I could find is under "sounds", "calendar alerts", and the only option there is ON or OFF.

7. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

I want a snooze for calendar alerts. I really like the calendar but there is much to be desired as stated above.

8. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

I, too, would love a snooze option on calendar event reminders.

9. rick and stuff

rick and stuff New Member

In addition to the above, I hate that the iPhone calendar only gives you pre-determined alert time options (i.e. 5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, 1 day, 2 days)... no custom alert times.

10. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 New Member

Such a nice tip. I was facing from same problem. Now I have fixed it using the procedure you said. so much thank you for sharing.

11. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

My mothballed Q9h could do that too, ratz! Oh well, I still prefer having the iPhone which has become a constant companion.

12. ERA818

ERA818 New Member

Can I set a default alert time? (I am a Blackberry defector, there you can set an alert for 15 minutes, or anything else you want. (1) The iPhone has a set menu of choices; but (2) more importantly I want to set the default alert so that I don't forget to do it before I save the appointment!
    I am a newcomer, please excuse me if this duplicates a previous discussion. I could lnot find it by searching. I must say the iPhone is a treat comparedc to my discarded Blackberry.

13. eye-Fone

eye-Fone Zealot
    Gold

Unfortunately (as of this writing), there is no way to set a default reminder time on the stock iPhone.

14. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

You can set various alert/reminder times in Google calendar which I use; any number of minutes up to 4 weeks. These can be emails, on screens messages, or come to your phone as a SMS text but sadly no snooze there either. Oh well.

YMMV

15. CAl Al

CAl Al New Member

a long and loud Calendar Alarm

We made a loud and long alarm possible with an app called Calendar Alarm, now available in the app store. The alarm syncs with the standard Calendar. There are 12 sounds to choose between and the sounds rings for 10 or 30 seconds. In the upcoming version next week a repeat/sleep is added that will go off every minute till you stop it. App store link http://itunes.apple.com/app/calendar-alarm/id367803799

16. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I use Google Calendar as well and have it synced to my iPhone. At least the SMS is louder and a secondary reminder. Plus if you ignore the text or miss it it will sound again for you whereas the default calendar alert will not.

Michael