Calendar App Not Adequate for Shift-work

pike942

Jun 10, 2008
I work rotating shifts and can’t figure out how to enter my schedule on my Touch with the current Calendar application.

With my palm-top computer I simply created events titled: Day1, Day2, Day3, Mid1, Mid2, & Mid3. Each of these events were created as repeating events — repeating daily every twelfth day. Then I created Off1, Off2, & Off3 as repeating events — repeating every 6th day.

Or another example would be Mother’s Day. It would be nice to be able to create an event that repeats monthly every 12mo (2nd Sunday of every 12th month).

Is there any way to do something similar that I’m overlooking?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Your right I don't think the current calendar app is up to the task you describe. However the launch of the App store should offer alternatives

pike942

Jun 10, 2008
v2 of the software "should" be able to do this since it syncs with Outlook and Outlook supports all of those tasks.
Oh great, I've gotta use Outlook.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
iCal and Outlook will both schedule events as you describe, and your Touch will sync those just fine. the 2.0 software may bring this functionality directly to touches/phones, but we just don't know yet.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Is the calendar app on the iPod Touch, the same as the iPhone? Because on the iPhone you can set things to repeat yearly.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's the same, but that's not what the OP is trying to do. For example, he wants to schedule events every 12th day. The Scheduler directly on the iPhone is not that versatile (repeats every day, week, 2 weeks, month, or year).

Keep in mind though, iCal and Outlook can both do it, and the iPod touch will sync those calendars fine.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
it's the same, but that's not what the OP is trying to do. For example, he wants to schedule events every 12th day. The Scheduler directly on the iPhone is not that versatile (repeats every day, week, 2 weeks, month, or year).

Keep in mind though, iCal and Outlook can both do it, and the iPod touch will sync those calendars fine.
Ohhhh okay okay. Got it...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yes, Outlook should solve your problems.

- John

pike942

Jun 10, 2008
samuelcaleb said:
Your right I don't think the current calendar app is up to the task you describe. The launch of the App store should offer alternatives I don't think the calendar applications well make a change...

========================================

samuelcaleb

*link removed*
I keep checking with the App Store in hopes that someone will write one for the task :(

Feb 15, 2009
I keep checking with the App Store in hopes that someone will write one for the task :(
Best way is to use outlook its just too easy to do it on the computer rather than palm top... Not even windows mobile apps have this feature...

pike942

Jun 10, 2008
Someone finally did -- Me. It's just what you need, and now it's ready for Prime Time. It's called Scheduler:

http://mat.buddy.com/sched

Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Great idea. Unfortunately, I found SaiSuke several months ago and bought it. Of course, now, I'm able to sync wirelessly with my Google Calendar and don't really even need SaiSuke anymore.

Problem solved several months ago; I just forgot to update this thread. Sorry.
Thanks anyway.

Apr 24, 2010
Shift Worker

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but I thought some of you may be interested in a new app released this year I developed called "Shift Worker". This may solve some of your problems but of course may not suit everyone.

Feel free to check it out at Shift Worker iPhone App

(I hope it's ok to post this here, I thought it would be best to reply to this thread rather than start a new one).

Thanks

Mark

Jun 1, 2010
did my 5-2 5-2 5-3 manually in ical for a year in about 7 minutes

Hi, I created work events for my 5-2 5-2 5-3 rotating schedule (days, afternoons, overnights) using ical events. I created an event for each shift and I copied and pasted them where they needed to go and in about 7 minutes I had a complete year done. I would rather an automated process to save my 7 minutes though that is for certain. Now I can use just the one ical app to see all my schedules. I tried the google thing but could not figure it out.