Calendar questions

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Docd, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I'm I missing an easier way to add a location from my address book than copy and paste. Wish you could just select a contact as most of the locations I use are in my address book anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using

#1 Docd, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not that I can find.

I'm working on putting together a group of alternative calendar apps.

3. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Seems like a simple thing to have.

Sent from my iPhone using

#3 Docd, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Seems like Apple was too busy removing things from the Calendar app in iOS 7. I do agree, seems like a common sense useful thing. Insert location, tap address book, add address. Or as you type address, match addresses in your book.

#4 chris, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

I hate the time selection. I am constantly changing the end time because of the way it fills the screen and I need to move to select my calendar. Awaiting your list Chris

Sent using iCafe app

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've completed my look at calendar apps for iPhone in iOS 7. This was my first real foray into looking at alternative options for the stock app. As a former DayRunner user (Claris Organizer, NOW), I've got some history with GTD. What I found were some great apps that run the gamut. You've got great replacements that offer a slight bump in features to full on GTD task/note management.

You can find my list of the Best Calendar apps for iPhone. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask either here in this thread or the comments.

If you find the article helpful, please consider sharing it on your social networks.!

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Be sure to check out Calendar 5 from Readdle. A bit pricey at $6.99, but worth every penny. It does location lookups as you type them, and does link to the Maps app. Hopefully in the future it will also check addresses in Contacts to pull address data as well. My favorite feature is the natural langauge data entry. You can simply say "Meet Joe Peterman at Starbucks next Monday from 5 to 6 PM" and it will properly fill in all the required fields including location, contact, date, time and event name.

Fantastical 2 is another contender, but I much prefer the portrait multi-day view in Calendar 5.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Does Calendar 5 use iCloud to push events to iCal on a Mac? If so, I might buy it. The automatic underlying/linking of dates in messaging and the calendar app are my two biggest gripes with iOS 7 - and this would take care of one of them.

#8 Europa, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This FAQ at Readdle should answer your question. The short answer:

If you use iCal on your Mac as well, you may easily enable iCloud calendars syncing.

#9 chris, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, since @up10ad uses it, I just wanted to be certain that it immediately pushes events OTA and works really well before spending $7 on it.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Okay, so tested and works perfectly. I disabled my Google Calendars syncing. What Calendars 5 does is keep things in sync with the default app. I added an event to Calendars 5, opened up Calendars and there was my event. Opened up iCal (Calendar) on my Mac and the event was synced.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Sorry Mindi, I can't answer that. I don't sync it with my iMac or use iCal or iCloud.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No problem. It sounds like Chris has tested it.
    Does iOS 7 include any changes to the stock calendar app that you've noticed? What I miss the most is the quick glimpse of events and not having to scroll down to a specific hour to see them. They showed up on the visible screen without the need to scroll down on iOS 6 and earlier. As a workaround I've started toggling "All-day" on and free texting the time in, but that's not optimal.

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Calendar 5 is on sale today, along with all Readdle apps.

#14 chris, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

When you look at the month view on the iPhone can you see all of your events in the boxes like you can in the month view on the iPad (or do you have to go to the week view to see them in the boxes)?
    image.jpg

#15 Europa, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  16. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Boxes, but the titles can be truncated due to limited space. For example, 'Thanksgiving Dinner' becomes 'Thanksgiving'. There is a slider at the bottom which is nice. Makes it easy to move between months or quickly jump to specific month by tapping.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thanks. Just bought it. It's much nicer than the stock iOS 7 calendar and addresses all of my gripes with it. Too bad it can't have an overlay with the day and date on the icon like the stock calendar app. Oh well, I'm still moving the stock calendar to my evergrowing folder of unused Apple apps.

#17 Europa, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I downloaded the free Calendars by Readdle. This works great for me. It has most of the Calendar 5 features. The slider at the bottom is nice. I'm still considering $2.99 for Calendar 5, but don't think I really need it.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

19. mac2013

mac2013 New Member

Same here, love it.

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm torn between Fantastical 2 and Calendars 5. Different apps, but both great. Think I'm going to recommend my friend pick up Calendars 5 while it's discounted. He's a freelancer who relies on his calendar and has been incredibly frustrated since iOS 7.