Calendar questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I'm I missing an easier way to add a location from my address book than copy and paste. Wish you could just select a contact as most of the locations I use are in my address book anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited by a moderator:

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Seems like a simple thing to have.

Sent from my iPhone using

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Seems like a simple thing to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like Apple was too busy removing things from the Calendar app in iOS 7. I do agree, seems like a common sense useful thing. Insert location, tap address book, add address. Or as you type address, match addresses in your book.

Last edited:

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I hate the time selection. I am constantly changing the end time because of the way it fills the screen and I need to move to select my calendar. Awaiting your list Chris

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've completed my look at calendar apps for iPhone in iOS 7. This was my first real foray into looking at alternative options for the stock app. As a former DayRunner user (Claris Organizer, NOW), I've got some history with GTD. What I found were some great apps that run the gamut. You've got great replacements that offer a slight bump in features to full on GTD task/note management.

You can find my list of the Best Calendar apps for iPhone. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask either here in this thread or the comments.

If you find the article helpful, please consider sharing it on your social networks.!

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Be sure to check out Calendar 5 from Readdle. A bit pricey at $6.99, but worth every penny. It does location lookups as you type them, and does link to the Maps app. Hopefully in the future it will also check addresses in Contacts to pull address data as well. My favorite feature is the natural langauge data entry. You can simply say "Meet Joe Peterman at Starbucks next Monday from 5 to 6 PM" and it will properly fill in all the required fields including location, contact, date, time and event name.

Fantastical 2 is another contender, but I much prefer the portrait multi-day view in Calendar 5.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Be sure to check out Calendar 5 from Readdle. A bit pricey at $6.99, but worth every penny. It does location lookups as you type them, and does link to the Maps app. Hopefully in the future it will also check addresses in Contacts to pull address data as well. My favorite feature is the natural langauge data entry. You can simply say "Meet Joe Peterman at Starbucks next Monday from 5 to 6 PM" and it will properly fill in all the required fields including location, contact, date, time and event name.

Fantastical 2 is another contender, but I much prefer the portrait multi-day view in Calendar 5.
Does Calendar 5 use iCloud to push events to iCal on a Mac? If so, I might buy it. The automatic underlying/linking of dates in messaging and the calendar app are my two biggest gripes with iOS 7 - and this would take care of one of them.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Does Calendar 5 use iCloud to push events to iCal on a Mac? If so, I might buy it. The automatic underlying/linking of dates in messaging and the calendar app are my two biggest gripes with iOS 7 - and this would take care of one of them.
This FAQ at Readdle should answer your question. The short answer:

If you use iCal on your Mac as well, you may easily enable iCloud calendars syncing.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This FAQ at Readdle should answer your question. The short answer:

If you use iCal on your Mac as well, you may easily enable iCloud calendars syncing.
Yeah, since @up10ad uses it, I just wanted to be certain that it immediately pushes events OTA and works really well before spending $7 on it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yeah, since @up10ad uses it, I just wanted to be certain that it immediately pushes events OTA and works really well before spending $7 on it.
Okay, so tested and works perfectly. I disabled my Google Calendars syncing. What Calendars 5 does is keep things in sync with the default app. I added an event to Calendars 5, opened up Calendars and there was my event. Opened up iCal (Calendar) on my Mac and the event was synced.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sorry Mindi, I can't answer that. I don't sync it with my iMac or use iCal or iCloud.
No problem. It sounds like Chris has tested it.
Okay, so tested and works perfectly. I disabled my Google Calendars syncing. What Calendars 5 does is keep things in sync with the default app. I added an event to Calendars 5, opened up Calendars and there was my event. Opened up iCal (Calendar) on my Mac and the event was synced.
Does iOS 7 include any changes to the stock calendar app that you've noticed? What I miss the most is the quick glimpse of events and not having to scroll down to a specific hour to see them. They showed up on the visible screen without the need to scroll down on iOS 6 and earlier. As a workaround I've started toggling "All-day" on and free texting the time in, but that's not optimal.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Calendar 5 is on sale today, along with all Readdle apps.
When you look at the month view on the iPhone can you see all of your events in the boxes like you can in the month view on the iPad (or do you have to go to the week view to see them in the boxes)?
image.jpg

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
When you look at the month view on the iPhone can you see all of your events in the boxes like you can in the month view on the iPad (or do you have to go to the week view to see them in the boxes)?
View attachment 34540
Boxes, but the titles can be truncated due to limited space. For example, 'Thanksgiving Dinner' becomes 'Thanksgiving'. There is a slider at the bottom which is nice. Makes it easy to move between months or quickly jump to specific month by tapping.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Boxes, but the titles can be truncated due to limited space. For example, 'Thanksgiving Dinner' becomes 'Thanksgiving'. There is a slider at the bottom which is nice. Makes it easy to move between months or quickly jump to specific month by tapping.
Thanks. Just bought it. It's much nicer than the stock iOS 7 calendar and addresses all of my gripes with it. Too bad it can't have an overlay with the day and date on the icon like the stock calendar app. Oh well, I'm still moving the stock calendar to my evergrowing folder of unused Apple apps.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I downloaded the free Calendars by Readdle. This works great for me. It has most of the Calendar 5 features. The slider at the bottom is nice. I'm still considering $2.99 for Calendar 5, but don't think I really need it.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

mac2013

May 31, 2013
I downloaded the free Calendars by Readdle. This works great for me. It has most of the Calendar 5 features. The slider at the bottom is nice. I'm still considering $2.99 for Calendar 5, but don't think I really need it.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app
Same here, love it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm torn between Fantastical 2 and Calendars 5. Different apps, but both great. Think I'm going to recommend my friend pick up Calendars 5 while it's discounted. He's a freelancer who relies on his calendar and has been incredibly frustrated since iOS 7.