California judge says Sprint must pay $73M in ETF case

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Maybe At&t and other wireless will follow

Consumer advocates are calling this preliminary decision a victory and saying that early termination fees unfairly restrict consumers from switching service. Wireless operators, meanwhile, say that ETFs are necessary because they subsidize a portion of the cost of the device and need to recoup those expenses.

http://fiercewireless.com/story/cal..._medium=rss&utm_source=rss&cmp-id=OTC-RSS-FW0

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Any way you cut it, we are going to pay. If ETF get thrown out the there will be no more subsidized phones and rates could go up too. I would rather leave things just the way their are.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I personally don't care about ETF. I've stuck with ATT for a long time, don't plan on leaving.

This has been addressed in another thread.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with cellular companies on this one. The phones are provided at a very low price because the provider is footing part of the bill. What's stopping someone from signing a new contract every week? The providers need to make sure that they're not going to lose money each time someone changes their mind.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
It's not so black and white when cell phone companies do NOT subsidize the phones, as they did not with the V1 iPhone.

If you sign up with a cellphone provider but you bring your own unlocked phone that you purchased legally for $400 from say Amazon, their contract still enables them to charge you an ETF, even though you did not receive the discount on a phone. When this happens, their argument that they need to recoup the cost of a device they didn't subsidize doesn't hold any water.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I wouldn't hold my breath with ANYTHING that some quack California judge says...

They're marrying gays and peddling dope on the street corners.... hatefully disrespecting our military and allowing "safe havens" for illegal aliens...
They are at the very root of what is destroying America.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

harsh words............

who cares if gays get married?
the military is corrupt anyway...
and these "illegal aliens" are people too....

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I wouldn't hold my breath with ANYTHING that some quack California judge says...

They're marrying gays and peddling dope on the street corners.... hatefully disrespecting our military and allowing "safe havens" for illegal aliens...
Damn Dude! You know how to bring the hate.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
He talks crap all the time, but everyone gives him the "oh he's just like that" excuse and think that its ok for him to run his mouth..

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
really oj, they are not, why hate on the gays? they want to get married, cool, frack it! does it really bother you that dudes kiss dudes?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I think if more people would spend time, tending to "THEIR OWN BUSINESS" and not worrying about others. The world would be a better place. I don't care if a woman marries a woman, or a man marries a man. It is not my life or my businesss. I don't want gays telling me not to marry a woman, so why should I tell them who to marry? We are all God's children, and so are people that live life different than the main stream...Mark:laugh2:

P.S. Sprint/Nextel May I have my ETF back when I canceled your CRAPPY Nextel service?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
yes yes, but anyways,....ETF's suck!;)

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska

Sorry but I sympathise with this man...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Actually some people do believe that same sex marriage is their businesss because it affects the world in which they live. They believe that it degrades the sanctity of marriage and that it provides a world that isn't as family friendly. Many people believe that children are best served being raised by a man and a woman because men and women are different and both provide something necessary for a child's emotional development. The more gays that get married, the easier and more likely they will want to have children and the more unhealthy people (in the minds of these people) there will be in the world.

So marriage (all marriage - same sex or not) does affect the lives of everybody.

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

harsh words............

who cares if gays get married?
the military is corrupt anyway...
and these "illegal aliens" are people too....
1. I don't.

2. This statement is ignorant. If you have some proof or data that validates this please share. Otherwise let's not pass liberal bias off as fact.

3. They are human beings, yes. But they are also a drain on the economy and the United States resources. If they want to apply for citizenship, and pay taxes like the rest of us, then I certainly welcome them to. But until that happens illegal aliens should be deported and we need to secure border. Immediately.

To get back on topic:

As far as ETF's, this would be great news, however I don't see this ruling standing. The ETF's are a major revenue stream for these companies, and the FCC has gone on record stating they don't oppose them.

Justin

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007

Word.

I don't understand how this can be thrown out, or considered illegal.

Its a CONTRACT. You knew damn well about the ETF and you accepted it. How the hell is that illegal? What a bunch of BS.