Call Filter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
I switched out my Treo of many yrs to get the iPhone and I'm getting used to the switch - and I'm pleasantly surprised, BUT the Treo had several programs not quite found anywhere in the iPhone ranks, most especially any type of call / sms filter ... any rumors or knowledge of one around or being developed?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I switched out my Treo of many yrs to get the iPhone and I'm getting used to the switch - and I'm pleasantly surprised, BUT the Treo had several programs not quite found anywhere in the iPhone ranks, most especially any type of call / sms filter ... any rumors or knowledge of one around or being developed?
I am unsure of what you mean by a call / sms filter. Can you explain that a bit more?

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
this app has been talked about on a few different forums im not sure if its in the process of being implemented on the phone yet but some developers are thinking of it...thats always a good sign

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
Thanks

Thanks ... anyone else? The palm programs were by different developers and were named profiles, profile manager, lightwave and callfilter ...

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
im ASSUMING with the realease of the sdk coming in feb. all the apps (or most) we all know and love from the treo bb etc. will be coming to the iPhone soon of course you are going to have to pay just like you did with the other phones but i guess we just have to wait...also with the sdk being released im sure Apple is going to have an update right along with it to satisfy MOST people...im not trying to start any rumors but i would ASSUME Apple would like to keep their customers happy along with providing some essentials....call filter may not be essential so i don't think Apple wil release it but im sure a 3rd party developer will....ONCE the SDK is released but i wouldn't expect much coming out the 3rd party developers now except updates to existing apps and concepts....but i could be wrong its known to happen from time to time....and like i said i did not hear this from my uncles, neighbor's kid's friends fathers college roommate's drunk sister's boyfriend's mother's cousin's ex plumber's ex wife's husband who happens to work for Apple as a custodian...this is all an assumption...take it how you will..

simply....No, haven't heard anything about Call/SMS Filter being developed:laugh2:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Just as an FYI I tried several of those apps on my Sprint Treo and they were not all that stable for me. My Treo would often reset on its own, and when it did that there was a 50:50 chance the phone radio would not come back on (so no calls received at all--and if I didn't happen to notice the reset I was SOL).

Actually just thinking about the Treo brings back memories of random resets, a few times even hard resets, crashes when simply trying to read mail, and an overall feeling of instability.

I'm not sure I want that experience on my iPhone, so be careful what you wish for.

--
Mike

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
The treo did need resets and I would have died if I hadn't backed it up every night to an sd ... BUT ...
it has many features I miss ... hopefully to be fixed once the sdk is released. The iPhone is 'prettier' and right now just a phone / email / surfer device. The treo was more of a palm sized laptop.

As far as the callfilters ... I used profile manager with callfilter which worked beatifully! No probs at all. I had prev tried lightwav and it was miserable.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The treo did need resets and I would have died if I hadn't backed it up every night to an sd ... BUT ...
it has many features I miss ... hopefully to be fixed once the sdk is released. The iPhone is 'prettier' and right now just a phone / email / surfer device. The treo was more of a palm sized laptop.
Not for me. For starters I too needed to run automated backups every night on my Treo (and I had to pay to do that, a la Resco Backup). And believe me that backup was needed on many occasions. No laptop I ever owned required that kind of attention (e.g., never needed to restore a laptop due to a spontaneous hard-reset).

Moreover, I find OS X in the iPhone much more powerful than Frankengarnet in PalmOS Treos. I haven't touched my Treo since getting the iPhone in July--even though I still have it.

That doesn't mean I don't wish the iPhone had a few features I had on the Treo, but through jailbreaking that is pretty much down to just copy and paste. Instead of the Terminal Services client I now use VNSea. For voice notes I use VNotes, etc., etc. None of these were available at the iPhone's release. Conversely, six months from now I expect the amount of things possible on an iPhone will increase by an order of magnitude. Whether that will include call filtering remains to be seen, but is certainly possible.

--
Mike

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Not for me. For starters I too needed to run automated backups every night on my Treo (and I had to pay to do that, a la Resco Backup). And believe me that backup was needed on many occasions. No laptop I ever owned required that kind of attention (e.g., never needed to restore a laptop due to a spontaneous hard-reset).

Moreover, I find OS X in the iPhone much more powerful than Frankengarnet in PalmOS Treos. I haven't touched my Treo since getting the iPhone in July--even though I still have it.

That doesn't mean I don't wish the iPhone had a few features I had on the Treo, but through jailbreaking that is pretty much down to just copy and paste. Instead of the Terminal Services client I now use VNSea. For voice notes I use VNotes, etc., etc. None of these were available at the iPhone's release. Conversely, six months from now I expect the amount of things possible on an iPhone will increase by an order of magnitude. Whether that will include call filtering remains to be seen, but is certainly possible.

--
Mike

Tinman, what are your thoughts on the SDK coming soon. What is your feeling and outlook on this?

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
I agree that the iPhone will soon meet all my needs, but there are currently no hacks for what I need ... database (used to use Handbase), callfilter and profile manager, and for me, since I'm a physician, the 'pdr' called epocrates. I have found myself wanting to reach for the treo a few times a week, but have been more than pleasantly surprised at the 'lack' of needing it! And wonderfully pleased at how well the iPhone has fit into my daily life. I am so pleased, in fact, that when its time to get another desktop / laptop, I will be getting an Apple / mac.

Don't get me wrong though ... the best part of all of this is NOT having to use that *^&(*&(*&Q$ unstable palm os platform!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have mixed feeling about the SDK. On one hand I am thrilled to have sanctioned apps. But if that comes at the expense of jailbreaking, cutting off access to 3rd party apps I currently have access to--many of which will not likely appear as "sanctioned" apps--I might not even bother updating to be able to use sanctioned apps at all.

Hopefully current apps and SDK apps will be able to co-exist. That's what I am hoping for.

And if I can use SDK apps hopefully they will be polished with no dead-ends which has happened to some (certainly not all) current 3rd party apps. By dead-end I mean an app that was released mostly as a proof-of-concept with little to no further development. OTOH, we likely won't even get to see that kind of stuff via iTunes.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how it all turns out. The good news from my perspective is that by Feb/Mar jailbreaking and 3rd party apps will be so ingrained in the iPhone world that Apple would be foolish to try and squash it unless their offerings can replace them 100%. Time will tell...

--
Mike

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
I have mixed feeling about the SDK. On one hand I am thrilled to have sanctioned apps. But if that comes at the expense of jailbreaking, cutting off access to 3rd party apps I currently have access to--many of which will not likely appear as "sanctioned" apps--I might not even bother updating to be able to use sanctioned apps at all.

Hopefully current apps and SDK apps will be able to co-exist. That's what I am hoping for.

And if I can use SDK apps hopefully they will be polished with no dead-ends which has happened to some (certainly not all) current 3rd party apps. By dead-end I mean an app that was released mostly as a proof-of-concept with little to no further development. OTOH, we likely won't even get to see that kind of stuff via iTunes.

Guess I'll have to wait and see how it all turns out. The good news from my perspective is that by Feb/Mar jailbreaking and 3rd party apps will be so ingrained in the iPhone world that Apple would be foolish to try and squash it unless their offerings can replace them 100%. Time will tell...

--
Mike
nicely said...