Call ID toggle ...

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
I finally found out from Apple that with the iPhone, you either block call Id or not ... There is no per call unblock code (ie *82) and it doesn't matter what your network sets. This means quite a chore to unblock on a per call basis! (settings -> phone -> show my caller id -> 'on' -> home -> phone / contact etc) just to call and show the id. Seems to me that this would be a PERFECT addition to the 'services' program ...! (PLEASSSSE?!)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sounds reasonable.

are you a bill collector or something?

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
I'm a physician and have had some crazy patients get hold of my cell number in the past and use it ANYTIME of day and incessantly. So I usually per call unblock for friends and family and block for work.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I'm a physician and have had some crazy patients get hold of my cell number in the past and use it ANYTIME of day and incessantly. So I usually per call unblock for friends and family and block for work.
Are you a Proctologist?

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
why? Haven't seen yours for a day or two?!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I finally found out from Apple that with the iPhone, you either block call Id or not ... There is no per call unblock code (ie *82) and it doesn't matter what your network sets. This means quite a chore to unblock on a per call basis! (settings -> phone -> show my caller id -> 'on' -> home -> phone / contact etc) just to call and show the id. Seems to me that this would be a PERFECT addition to the 'services' program ...! (PLEASSSSE?!)
actually there is a per call block code, at least with AT&T in the u.s. just dial *67 and then the full number you want to dial (e.g., *674155551212) and your caller id will be blocked for that call only. i've tested it and it works - when i call my husband's phone, it shows up as a "private call" on his cell with no other information shown.

afaik, there is no charge for this.

jscaffidi

Nov 14, 2007
Unfortunately I need the reverse function ... I need to use a per call unblock (*82) and this doesn't appear possible with the iPhone! Weird that a per call block will work though!

galenmd

Aug 21, 2008
Yes, you can unblock specific numbers using the *82 code. Unfortunately, it doesn't work all of the time. I too have all calls blocked so as not to reveal my number to patients, but want some unblocked as a rule (family/friends). I programmed in the number with *82 as the prefix. However, sometimes when I call from my contact list it works, and other times, no call is initiated. Nothing happens at all. I wonder if there is a pattern to see when it works and when it does not...

Interestingly enough, if I add the malfunctioning number as a favorite, then it works from the favorite section every time.

Honestly, though, I am considering unblocking my number entirely and adding the call block prefix listed above for those times that I need it. Either that, or just switching back and forth for when I am on or off-call.

Jul 6, 2009
Try using *31# it works but it has a bug and will not show that persons
caller ID when they call you, to fix that add the same number to that contact without the code and it will display there name when you receive calls from them.
I hassle, but it works for now:)

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I evidently have my caller ID setting on block as everyone tells me that my phone shows up as RESTRICTED, PRIVATE, or Blocked. Now I know why they have no idea who it is when I call as I was thinking they would see my number.

Going to turn it off.

thealiencow

Bronze
Sep 14, 2008
Just a heads up, a determined patient can always find your number out if you're calling their mobile phone. All phone numbers, ID blocked or otherwise, show up on the customer's monthly bill.

Go check your own if you don't believe me.