Call/Msg Notification Idea

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So what can be displayed on the screen, even from sleep is pretty much endless right?

Well what is to say that Apple or some 3P developer cannot create software for the iPhone that allows it to show something very minimal to let you know that you have a new email, call, SMS, etc?

It could be that your screen has a cute little bug crawling around on it like that avatar to the whole screen going into space mode or as simple as a little red light that blinks in a certain area.

I think the options are endless. I have come back to the iPhone from my BB and other than some native apps, I do miss having that little light blink to let me know someone is reaching out for me.

What is cool about the iPhone is that it is not limited to an LED!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
That would be cool. There is a 3rd party app right now that will put an icon in the top bar if you have a text message and / or an email. I use it so I don't have to unlock my phone to see if I have a new email or not.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
So what can be displayed on the screen, even from sleep is pretty much endless right?

Well what is to say that Apple or some 3P developer cannot create software for the iPhone that allows it to show something very minimal to let you know that you have a new email, call, SMS, etc?

It could be that your screen has a cute little bug crawling around on it like that avatar to the whole screen going into space mode or as simple as a little red light that blinks in a certain area.

I think the options are endless. I have come back to the iPhone from my BB and other than some native apps, I do miss having that little light blink to let me know someone is reaching out for me.

What is cool about the iPhone is that it is not limited to an LED!
If the iPhone is asleep, then a minimal notification will force the entire screen to have to have the backlight on all the time. It's not like a certain part of the screen can be lit up and the rest not. That would kill battery life.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
If the iPhone is asleep, then a minimal notification will force the entire screen to have to have the backlight on all the time. It's not like a certain part of the screen can be lit up and the rest not. That would kill battery life.
that's what i was thinking aswell.

maybe if there was a program that would make the phone vibrate like every few minutes, until you checked your phone.

and with this program you could change the settings of how long the vibration would go for and how many vph(vibrations per hour) you would like.

(yes i make up acronyms)

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
that's what i was thinking aswell.

maybe if there was a program that would make the phone vibrate like every few minutes, until you checked your phone.

and with this program you could change the settings of how long the vibration would go for and how many vph(vibrations per hour) you would like.

(yes i make up acronyms)
ytww (yes that would work).

(me too.)

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Why can't the iPhone just have the option to just "beep" when you have missed a call or have a new voice mail? I really miss this function, every other phone I've owned has had this option...

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Ive found phones with blinking lights AND ESPECIALLY the ones that ring every minute or so to be extremely annoying. A couple times ive been at a friends house, they're phone rings when they leave the room. Then rings again and again and again. Until I either have to push a button for him or find him so he can't shut it the hell off

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Ive found phones with blinking lights AND ESPECIALLY the ones that ring every minute or so to be extremely annoying. A couple times ive been at a friends house, they're phone rings when they leave the room. Then rings again and again and again. Until I either have to push a button for him or find him so he can't shut it the hell off
IMO, it's far better to have to push a button to silence a missed call notification, than to miss several calls because you can't hear the phone or have been away from the phone for a few minutes... I can't always carry my phone around in patient areas and when I return, I find it a "pain" to have to always Remember to"wake" the phone up just to see if I've missed a call or have any messages. Many times I forget to check and find that I missed a call that needed to be returned ASAP. Some kind of alert is needed that draws your attention... Yes if someone doesn't cancel their alerts it is very annoying/rude, just about as rude as people having open conversations on their speaker-phone while walking around in public places. IMHO.