Calls to Voicemail while using EDGE

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 11, 2007
Apparently, all incoming calls are directed straight to voicemail if EDGE is in the "loading" state (the circle shows up). So this applies to

Safari
Weather
Stocks
Mail
YouTube
Maps

If the caller doesn't leave a voicemail, we won't get any notification that a missed call even occurred. Low Volume and no MP3 ringtones aside, this is my biggest gripe so far.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Apparently, all incoming calls are directed straight to voicemail if EDGE is in the "loading" state (the circle shows up). So this applies to

Safari
Weather
Stocks
Mail
YouTube
Maps

If the caller doesn't leave a voicemail, we won't get any notification that a missed call even occurred. Low Volume and no MP3 ringtones aside, this is my biggest gripe so far.
Dang, this sucks.....i've been fortunate enough that most of the time i use for browsing, is a time when everyone knows not to call, anyway. (while i'm at work)

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC

Safari
Weather
Stocks
Mail
YouTube
Maps

This is old news...

Jul 11, 2007
and yet, news nontheless. I'm wondering when we might expect updates to deal with these issues (and yes this is an issue). The phone should at least notify us after we've used EDGE that a call was missed

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
This is not a new thing with the iPhone. This has happened with GSM since it started doing data. Ever used a CDMA phone on 1xRTT? That technology has a longer delay when ending active data so you miss a lot more calls. GSM handles it better, but there is still going to be times when you miss calls when you actively transferring data. Since the iPhone is downloading full websites and streaming full YouTube video, this seems to most people like a new thing, it's not.

Joe

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
Thats not good. So this is confirmed only to happen during
the loading state? There needs to be an option in the phone
to select if you want Edge to be interrupted or not upon receiving
a call.

EDIT
Yes, I did not know of this.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Thats not good. So this is confirmed only to happen during
the loading state? There needs to be an option in the phone
to select if you want Edge to be interrupted or not upon receiving
a call.

EDIT
Yes, I did not know of this.
If you have another GSM phone try it out. Try streaming audio or video on it and then try to call it from another, you'll go right to voicemail. I'm just surprised no one else new this. Are you new to using data on a phone?

Joe

DeadSpider

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Vacherie,Louisiana
If you have another GSM phone try it out. Try streaming audio or video on it and then try to call it from another, you'll go right to voicemail. I'm just surprised no one else new this. Are you new to using data on a phone?

Joe
*lowers head in shame*
Yes, I guess I am. :p
While I am being honest.... I never owned a mac either
*burst into tears*

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY

Safari
Weather
Stocks
Mail
YouTube
Maps

This is nothing new because when I had nextel it was the same Thing . When you're on the two way no calls come through. This is not new to me. Your basicly using up all the spectrum of radio frequency on the phone.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
welcome to edge, its been like this forever. depending on the tower is whether or not you will get a call during edge internet browsing. sometimes you will , sometimes you wont.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
Some i phone users are getting interrupted calls. accept or decline this is to do with the network towers. other phone do suspend the call and notify you.

The main reason for migrating to NOM 1 from NOM 2 is not for SMS. Under NOM 2 you can not get a GSM page (e.g. phone call) during an active data transfer (under NOM 2 you can get a page when the browser is running but not actively sending data). In NOM 1 you can get a GSM page during a data transfer.

"Class A phones can make full use of NOM 1 networks: they can use
circuit-switched voice and EDGE data services at the same time. Class B
phones can register circuit-switched voice and packet-switched data
services at the same time but may only use one at a time. Should the user
receive a call while on the internet, they can take the call and the EDGE
service will be suspended, resuming once the voice call is ended.

i just got a phone call from Apple. a very nice guy i will call him Mr C.

thanks for your phone call, as Mr c spoke with me and i understand it.

some people are getting calls coming through (pop up message)
some are not VM

this has nothing to do with the iPhone or maybe it does as other phones do have this feature. my guess is they are trying to speed edge up so much we miss calls, also from your location and Tower/network setting that come from that tower. if the tower is putting out 1800gsm there is a possibility that your call MAY go through and you will get notified. if the tower is putting out 850gsm your call WILL go to voicemail. that is why in the Apple docs they say MAY. and why some people get notified and some do not.

So this is not an iPhone issue. (even though other phones do this)
it is a location/network tower issue.

but at least Apple phoned me and they are taking note.
keep submitting, and this will get resolved from the pressure Apple will put on AT&T to change the configs of all towers and network settings so we have more of a chance still not 100% fail safe, but better than nothing..

Everyone having this issue should call 1-800-MY iPhone. Ask to speak to Tier II support, the person you get may try to help, and may need to give you a case number. You'll probably have to wait a while on hold.

I just spent an hour on the phone with Tier I & II. The tier I guy started by saying that when you use EDGE it will always go to voicemail. I told him, I was on a user forum & some people said they don't have the issue. He then tested it on his phone & experienced the direct to v-mail issue. We talked about how this was a real problem & how both of our nokia phones didn't have this issue (he actually had the E-61 also). He gave me a case number & transferred my to tier II. The tier II guy told me that this was a software issue. That a pop-up needs to be designed into the software to allow the user the option to disconnect the data connection & accept the voice call, or not. I told him that I'd read on a user forum that some users get voice calls while using EDGE. He said that if they are using you tube the call will automatically interrupt & switch out of you tube. We then tested this on my iPhone & it worked (i.e. the call interrupted you tube). He said the software currently decides to disconnect data or send calls to voice mail during EDGE transmissions based on what the user is doing. Phone calls take priority over you tube & widgets (stock & weather)but safari and e-mail take priority over phone calls. He said the thought was, it would be more annoying to users to be in the middle of sending an e-mail and having mail disconnected for a phone call, than having the call go to voicemail. The ideal solution is to have a choice (like other phones allow) but right now the iPhone software does not have a pop-up designed allowing the user to accept the call or keep the data connection. (He seemed to be familiar with this on other phones while being tethered to a macbook to use their data connections & getting voice calls during downloads).

He said he was submitting this to the engineering group & said the more people that call tier II about this & submit it as an issue via online feedback, the higher priority it will get to be addressed in the first software update. So if you want to see this fixed start calling and submitting the issue http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html in as much detail as possible (specifically say that other existing phones Nokia S60s etc. have this function).

That is my info submitted to this thread.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007

Safari
Weather
Stocks
Mail
YouTube
Maps

I don't know if an Network issue in your Area, but in the DFW area it will ask to accept a call while on EDGE (all the applications) with the circle (loading).

The reason I mention this is because I have been seeing iPhone commercials on TV for the last couple of Hours and just realized that is always ends with an incoming call (something some say is not possible).

I would contact AT&T in area and find out why you can't get calls.