Calm Down, It's Only a Beta

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Love it or hate it, iOS 7 is here to stay.The beta is a work in progress, so everyone relax. Apps don't work? Don't blame the beta or the developers. The beta is here for developers to get a handle on what works and what doesn't. Read on...

#1 Napoleon PhoneApart, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  2. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

I feel extremely bad for those devs that received poor ratings due to the lack of common sense the average user has...

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Nonsense. What beta software in the history of the world has had its icons change after developer feedback? Icon design is not the point of beta testing.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Calm down, it's only an article. :D

5. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Comments like this, make me believe it was no accident that average everyday users where able to download and install this particular beta... This has been the biggest release thus far, how else can you get a trove of people to beta test and most importantly VOICE THEIR OPINIONS without actually calling it an open beta, the masses have spoken, which is exactly what Apple was hoping for in my opinion... I personally don't believe a whole lot is going to change graphically upon the release of the GM build. I think it's just some people's wishful thinking... maybe a live weather icon... MAYBE...

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The same was true for iOS6 beta last year and maybe even iOS5. Business as usual.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I hope they do change the icons, though the more I look at it, the dock, I think that is what really ruins the look for me.

8. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

I don't really see the issue with the icons... Would I personally have designed them to look like this? No, probably not. Are they as hideous as people are making them out to be? No, definitely not... It's more that they look unfinished to me more than anything, but since I don't spend hours staring at my icons I can't really care less as long as the app functions properly.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I agree that the icons will not be something people look at much once they get used to them, so the look will be a non-issue soon enough. With that said, you said the icons are "definitely" not as hideous as people make them out to be. That is an opinion we do not share. I still don't think they are hideous, but boy are they ugly, in MY opinion. Opinions however are unimportant here because this new iPhone and iOS will be a major hit outselling last years models as usual with a new Apple product launch :)

10. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

I have a feeling if you put this exact set of icons on any other phone, you'll have those same people clamoring about how Apple was out Apple'd as a matter of fact I'll go as far as guarantee it. But ultimately you're right it is a matter of opinion... But if one person can point out WHY they are so horrible maybe I could jump on board... The color pallet has gone almost unchanged from the original icons, mainly all they did was take off that (ugly) zoom texture/patterns and the gloss leaving the flat colored background and the icon itself. Maybe they could have went a different direction with the camera and facetime icons but then again that's based off my opinion...

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The why is unimportant, why is bacon so delicious to some people and disgusting to others?, why did the chicken cross the road? Lol, people have different taste :D

12. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Ahh yes the old it's my opinion nothing else matters argument... can't argue with that... I like bacon because it taste good to me, why does it taste good you ask, because I enjoy the flavor that is pork meat and fat, why do I like this flavor, most likely because I was raised eating bacon like most of my ancestors and don't find anything wrong with slaughtering animals so humans can continue to be on the top of the food chain... Ultimately my love for bacon comes from being the most dominant species on earth. Usually when I voice my opinion i still have a reason to have said opinion.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It amazes me how much people are fixating on these icons. Apple only changed them because people were so obsessed with iOS looking different. It was a change for the sake of change. Either way, I don't care as long as they don't look ridiculous, and they don't. I care about functionality and ease of use.

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

People say change is good, bit usually forget to add 'as long as it doesn't effect me' ;)

15. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I like the new designs and so does my friends. I thought the majority liked the icons, though, not hate.

16. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

And that is why I am a vegetarian.........

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm a confirmed scrapplarian.

18. reas0n

reas0n Member
    Silver

Good for you man, I love vegetables... I eat salad and at least two vegetables with my meat every night... We have a garden in the back yard with fresh lettuce tomatoes broccoli onions and other assorted herbs, but we also love our meat. My grandfather was a word class archer, so it's only natural he hunted deer and stuff. Boy what a waste that would be to just kill for sport. To each their own.

19. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

I don't understand the angst over the icons either. I don't love them, but who cares, its a tiny square picture. I know what happens when I press it. The story ends there for me.

On a scale from 1-10 i would have rated iOS 7 about a 6 on day one (with crashing, app incompatibility, and other Beta 1 symptoms excluded). Today, after a couple weeks of use - I give it an 8. It's growing on me for sure.